Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

Mercury Mountaineer I have a bad door ajar switch on my Mercury

Customer Question

I have a bad door ajar switch on my Mercury Mountaineer. I have sprayed wd40 and replaced the switches before. They keep going bad. I just want to disable the door ajar feature altogether and I don't care what else I lose as long as I can lock doors and roll down windows.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Since you just want to disable the door ajar feature then you need to access the body control module. Then cut each of the five door ajar switch wires and ground them all to a new chassis ground wire, thus fooling the system that all doors are always shut.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button if I did help you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and to compensate for all the tech information sites I have to pay a fee to receive, and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions, use the reply button. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't yet attempted to use this information to make the alteration. The first obstacle I see is: Where's the body control module located on this vehicle?
The BCM is in behind the rear quarter trim on the passenger side. If a rear seated passenger on the passenger side pushed there right elbow back and touched the body of the SUV they would be touching the rear quarter trim directly over the BCM.