A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

Mercury mountaineer: there is a gray wiring harness not connected

mercury mountaineer 2000 door sensor isn't working. there is a gray wiring harness not connected to anything. the wire on other front door is connected to a receiving harness but this door is missing it
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

The door ajar switch is located on the bottom side of the door latch.

If the light does not go off with the switch unplugged, you have another switch that is bad. One simple repair that works 50% of the time, you can spray penetrating oil, WD40, into the door latch and open and close the door 10 to 20 times. This sometimes cleans the door ajar switch. Most of the time it is the switch on the drivers door that ends up failing the most.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try the wd40 trick, but am a bit lost trying to picture what to do with the diagram, I do not recognize that from the insides of the door.

The picture is the door latch removed from the door. The switch is located on the bottom of the latch.

Below are the directions for removing the door latch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this doable without having to pop out a rivit? I was hoping more like a simple place to reconnect the wire that appears to have broken off. We bought this car used with the outside door handle not working, I fixed that but we now have this new problem. wd40 fixed the latch and i found this dangling wire when I went in for a better look. I compared it to the driver door and troubleshooted it down to this one wire. I can't "hotwire" it to the second wire?
No. With the wires connected, the instrument cluster will show a door ajar and the chime will sound. If there is no switch on the bottom of the door latch, you will have to replace the switch. It just twist into the latch. You do not have to completely remove the latch. You can remove the 3 screws, which will give you more room to replace the switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I couldn't get to the underside with enough certanty to see what I was doing. I will look into a mechanic who can actually get the latch out. I don't want to have any complications from this. Unless you have any other possible options, thank you for your help.

If you have a local mechanic you trust, then that is a good idea. Without removing the latch, it is a tough job to do.