Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

Mercury cougar ls I have a 1989mercury cougar LS the turn

Customer Question

I have a 1989mercury cougar LS the turn signals started working only intermintly then quit working altogether the brake lights still work the emergency flasher also works I checked the fuse that controlls the tun signals I also checked to see if there was a flasher by the fuse box and could not find one I also replaced the turn signal mechanism with a newer one from the local bone yard and they still do not work do you have a solution?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you with your question.
There are 2 fuses for the turn signels, one for the 4 ways and one for the turn signels, lets start with checking the 10 amp fuse in the interior fuse panel.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
The diagram I sent you is the under dash fuse panel for a 1989 Cougar.

Take a 12 volt test light and see if you have 12 volts (key on) on the lite blue wire at the Used switch you installed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the fuse that you have indicated is good I have also checked the turn signal fuse with a tester for continuity the tester idicates they are good
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Ok, go to the switch and check the lite blue wire with the key on and tell me what you have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have the steering colum apart if that is what you are talking about
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
All you have to do is remove the plastic cover and take a test light and with the key on see if you have 12 volts on this wire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the way that the cover is configured I would have to take the steering wheel and everything apart wich I am unable to do at this time since I would bougher a puller I thought you could give me a definit answer but apperently it could any thing
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

We can guess but I dont think that is the right thing to do, if you have 12 volts in on this wire and the flasher still dont work then the used switch you bought is bad.