John Mc
John Mc, Mercury Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

How do I change the rear wheel bearings in a 98 Grand Marquis.

Customer Question

Category: Mercury
Expert:  John Mc replied 5 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Mercury dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

sFirst off you need a slide hammer and axle bearing puller to get the axle bearing out. You can usually get these on a loaner basis at most parts stores.

Now to do the bearing, remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor. Remove the rear speed sensor from the axle housing end. Remove the rear end cover and remove the bolt that retains the center pin. Now remove the center pin. Push the axle in and remove the c clip. Now you can pull out the axle, use the bearing puller and pull the bearing out. These are in there pretty good so be prepared to pull. Now drive in the new bearing with a large socket and install a new seal and put everything back together.

Expert:  John Mc replied 5 years ago.

Reposting this in case you didn't see it.

Thanks,

John Mc