Richard, Mercury Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Intermittent starting problem 2001 mercury sable

intermittent starting problem 2001 mercury sable
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

I assume the engine is cranking but not starting? Do you have the DOCH 3.0 liter engine? Have you noticed if the theft warning light is flashing rapidly? Have you tried holding your foot on the gas to see if the engine will start and run?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have a DOCH 3.0 liter. Have tried locking and unlocking door several time. This did not help. Did not notice the theft warning light.

The engine turn over for a little while acts like it is not getting gas and then dies. Have held food on gans to the floor - this does not help.

Have turn the key on, waite a while then try to crank engine, this has not help.

When I wait for about 30 mins and try to start, the car will start with no problems.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok based on your description I suspect a problem with fuel delivery like a failing fuel pump. To be sure a fuel pressure gauge needs to be installed to the rail in order to monitor fuel pump output pressure. An easier but less reliable test would be to spray some carb cleaner into the air intake tube via the small hose port and have an assistant crank the engine while you spray to see if the engine will start and run on the spray. If it does then it is a fuel problem and we wold need to properly diagnose the fuel delivery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

everything I can read on the internet has stated that the dealership suggest a fuel pump and so far thier reply is this does not help and your out the money for the fuel pump.

What else could it be if not the fuel pump. When you bring the car in to the dealer - no codes come up saying anything is wrong. What else if not the fuel pump?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It can also be an idle air control motor but if the engine will not start when you hold your foot on the gas that should rule it out. It can also be a problem with the anti theft system which is why I asked about the theft light. Another possibility causing intermittent crank no starts would be the PCM relay or even the crank sensor. We do need to do some diagnosis on this before replacing any parts. This is why I recommend a fuel pressure gauge to see if the fuel pump is working when the problem occurs. Since you do no t have a gauge keep a can of carb cleaner in your trunk and some basic hand tools so you can spray the carb cleaner into the air intake. If the engine starts and runs on this spray then we know it is a fuel problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will try the infomation suggested.

Also I have started pushing the gas padle to the floor before turning off the engine and when I do this the engine run very rough. Is this normal>

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You should not rev the engine before turning it off and I do not think this will help your current problem.
Richard, Mercury Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.