EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

2000 Mercury Sable: Alarm keeps going off.

I have a 2000 Mercury Sable. Alarm keeps going off. Can it be disabled?
Hi. If your car has only the factory alarm system, there is no way to disable it. But I have seen this problem before. It ended up being the hood switch. If you pop the hood there should be a button on the side that gets pushed when the hood is closed. You could try disconnecting that switch and seeing if the problem stops or not. Try this and let me know what happens. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ya, forgot. I already tried that. Also it's very random. Not for a couple days and then three or four in one day.

Any thing else you can think of. If not I was thinking I would just cut the horn out of the system and run to a button in car. What do you think? No one really seems to know. Dealer said they would check it for $110.00 but no guarantee they could find it. Anyway your my last shot before the button.

One last thing, The horn sounds like it's under battery. Can't see it. Can you tell me where it is? Thanks Jim

Yes, the horn is near the left front fender. My only other recommendation would be to spray lube into the door and trunk latched. Possible a door ajar switch is sticking thinking that a door is opening. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Lastely, is the horn under yhe battery. Sounds like it is but I can't see it.

Then do I pay by clicking accept answer?

Though we haven't come up with an answer I'm very satisfied with your help. Think I'm going to try to cut horn out of system and wire directly to stand alone button. Won't look very good but it will solve alarm sounding horn.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes it is under the battery. Yes you just click accept. If you still have any further questions you can still respond to this post. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX we didn't solve I am very satisfied with your service. Electrical problems are a bitch.

Thanks,

Jim