Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Mercury Grand Marquis LS I need to remove the blend door actuator

Customer Question

I need to remove the blend door actuator from a 1998 Mercury grand marquis and need to remove the instrument panel first....have taken some of it apart but still cant get enough room to get the actuator out.....how do i get the rest of the dash apart
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, because I cant know exactly where you are in the process, or if you have skipped any important steps to this point, I am providing you with entire directions to remove the dash:

Removal & Installation

1. Position the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Properly disarm the air bag system; see Section 6.

4. Remove the right and left mouldings from the instrument panel by pulling up and snapping out of the retainers.

5. Remove the right and left lower insulator panels from the instrument panel.

6. Remove the 5 bolts retaining the lower instrument panel steering column cover and remove the cover.

7. Remove the 2 bolts and reinforcement from under the steering column.

8. Pull up to unsnap the upper finish panel and remove the upper finish panel.

9. Remove the ignition lock cylinder

10. Remove the tilt lever and the upper and lower steering column shrouds.

11. Disconnect the wiring from the steering column switches and the transmission range selector cable from the column.

Do NOT rotate the steering column shaft.

1. Place a cover on the front seat to protect it from damage.

2. Remove the 4 nuts retaining the steering column to the instrument panel and lower the column on the front seat.

3. Install the lock cylinder to make sure the steering column shaft does not turn.

4. Open the glove compartment door and depress the sides inward.

5. Lower the glove compartment assembly toward the floor.

6. Through the left side of the glove compartment opening, remove the 2 bolts retaining the instrument panel to the dash panel brace.

7. Remove the right and left cowl trim panels.

8. Disconnect the wires of the main wire loom from the engine compartment on both the right and left sides.

9. Disengage the rubber grommets from the dash panel, then feed the wire loom through the hole in the dash panel into the passenger compartment.

10. Disconnect the wires from the instrument panel at the right and left cowl sides.

11. Remove the 2 lower bolts retaining the instrument panel to the A-pillar.

12. Using the steering column and glove compartment openings, and by reaching under the instrument panel, detach all electrical connections, vacuum hoses, demister hose, heater-A/C vacuum lines and radio antenna.

13. Close the glove compartment door and support the instrument panel.

14. Remove the 5 screws retaining the top of the instrument panel to the cowl top and disconnect any remaining wires.

15. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.

16. If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all parts to the new panel.

To install:

1. Carefully position the instrument panel in the vehicle and install the 5 screws retaining the top of the instrument panel to the cowl top.

2. Open the glove compartment door and depress the sides inward to lower the glove compartment assembly toward the floor.

3. Attach the radio antenna and all electrical connections and vacuum lines.

4. Install the 2 lower bolts retaining the instrument panel to the A-pillar and tighten to 17-25 ft. lbs. (22-34 Nm).

5. Connect the instrument panel wires at the right and left cowl sides.

6. Feed the main wire loom through the hole in the dash panel into the engine compartment.

7. Secure the rubber grommets in the dash panel.

8. Connect the main wire loom wires on the right and left sides.

9. Install the right and left cowl trim panels.

10. Install the bolts retaining the instrument panel to the dash panel brace.

11. Close the glove compartment door.

12. Remove the lock cylinder from the steering column.

13. Raise the column into position and install the 4 retaining nuts. Tighten to 15-25 ft. lbs. (21-34 Nm).

14. Connect the transmission range selector cable to the steering column and the wiring to the steering column switches.

15. Install the steering column shrouds and the tilt lever.

16. Install the ignition lock cylinder.

17. Install the upper finish panel.

18. Install the reinforcement under the steering column and tighten the bolts to 7-10 ft. lbs. (9-14 Nm).

19. Install the lower instrument panel steering column cover and tighten the bolts to 7-10 ft. lbs. (9-14 Nm).

20. Install the lower insulator panels and the instrument panel mouldings.

21. Connect the negative battery cable.

22. Enable the air bag system.

23. Check operation of all instruments, lights, controls and the A/C-heater system.

24. Check the air bag indicator operation.

Instrument
View Full Image

Instrument panel—1992-98 Crown Victoria

Click to Enlarge
Instrument
View Full Image

Instrument panel—1992-98 Grand Marquis

Click to Enlarge
Steering
View Full Image

Steering column switches and wiring—1992-98 vehicles

Click to Enlarge
Steering
View Full Image

Steering column retaining nuts—1992-98 vehicles

Click to Enlarge
Cowl
View Full Image

Cowl trim panels—1992-98 vehicles

Click to Enlarge
Instrument
View Full Image

Instrument panel installation—1992-98 vehicles

Click to Enlarge
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so
. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day