George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

Mercury Mountaineer 4x4 my 2002 Mercury Mountaineer cigarette

my 2002 Mercury Mountaineer cigarette lighter does not work. I checked fuse #24 on driver side fuse box, replaced the cigarette lighter and still it does not work. The rear cigarette lighter/power point works, but not the front. Help!
Category: Mercury
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

As long as you have power to fuse 2.24 there is not much to this circuit. I would check at the connector for the outlet and see if you have power at the light blue/white wire. If not and you have power at the fuse I would suspect the wire junction on the back of the fuse block.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have checked and have power to the fuse. I checked the connector and do not have power there. where on the back? of the fuse block will this junction be?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The light blue/white wire will be in connector C270g on the back of the fuse block. You need to check for power directly at the fuse block at the connector by slipping a pin into the connector along the wire to make contact. If you still have no power the problem is internal to the fuse block and you may be able to remove power from the box and restore power to clear the overload.

Click here for location

Click here for pins

I am sorry for the delay in my response, I went to Daytona today so I was not available to answer your question.

Please let me know what you find

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
George,
Appreciate your answer, unfortunately I had to go out of town (no I was not at the 500, but glad you were able to go) Great to see such a young guy win it this year.
I am going to accept the answer, but I will not be able to check this all out until I get back home on Saturday. Can I still reach out to you as this is very frustrating not getting this thing working.
Thanks
Ricky
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Wait to accept until you have a resolution.

When you get the chance to check the connector "g" and see if you have power at that point you will know more about the source of the problem

Let me know what you find and I will be happy to continue with you until you are satisfied

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

George,

I took the cover off where the cup holders are and found that there was another plug under this along with the one that I have been having the problems with. The plug #2 had a very similar formation on it, but it was enough of a difference that the lighter would not plug into it. But this #2 plug did have power to it. I cut the end off the plug I was having problems with and spliced it on this #2 plug and I now have power to the lighter and everything seems to be working. I did tape off the plug end that I cut and left it under the console cover. Hope this is ok, but what would the #2 plug that had power be for????

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The second plug in is the accessory plug and is designed to be used with GPS or other devices that need power. The internal configuration is different from the lighter which has slots to let the heat escape. If you are able to power the plug from the accessory connector you only have to check for power at the back of the fuse block as shown above. If you do have power at the fuse block then the fault is in the harness between the lighter connector and the fuse block and if you do not have power to the back of the fuse block the problem is internal to the fuse block and you would have to replace the fuse block to correct this.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

George,

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX completed the connection using the other plug. I have power now and I will use this for the lighter. all I need is to plug up phone chargers etc. I think this will handle the problem, unless you think there is some danger in what I did. Otherwise I am letting this go as is. Just let me know as I do not want to get into the fuse block and start removing stuff there. I am fine now that it is working on this circuit. Will I be ok with this?

Thanks

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The accessory circuit is fuse at 20 amps and the lighter is at 15 amps so you should be fine using the new connection.

Glad you were able to repair it to your satisfaction and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master 15+ years