Mike V.
Mike V., Automotive Technician
Experience:  25 years experience witth all makes, Nissan and Subaru factory trained.
2921078

99 Villager: replaced due..cam sensor..old one back..throttle body

I have a 99 Villager that recently had the distributor replaced due to a bad cam sensor. The mechanic also tried a new crank sensor before determining it was the distributor and put the old one back on, so he did some work below the throttle body. Two weeks later I get a CEL. Codes are 0120 (TPS) & 0325 (Knock sensor). I have experienced a slight hesitation when getting back on the gas when making a turn, at the moment the CEL comes on. But this does not occur very often. I have disconnected the battery for as long as 24hrs in order to clear the codes to see how frequent it occurs. It has come back on within 100 mi twice now. So I just replaced the TPS & verified .4-.5vdc, so it is mounted correctly. Test drive seems OK. But acceleration doesn't seem completely smooth. How do I clear the codes to verify. The haynes manual info to jumper pins on a connector next the starter doesn't match my connector. It shows a 5-wire conntor, i have a 4-wire connector. I have also referenced an online Quest manual, which refered to turning a mode I/mode II selector on the side of the ECU. But this must not be common to the Villager since a Quest ECU is under the hood. I assume the Villager ECU is behind the glovebox above the heater core.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! The ecu pn the quest is also behind the glove box.
You have a couple options, including flashing the ecu, you can also have a parts store clear the codes with the OBDII under the dash on the driver side by the hood release, or disconnecting the battery for a few hours.
It doesn't have to be 24 hours normally to clear the code, but it does take a couple hours for the backup battery in the ecm to clear.
This is really just a rebadged nissan so you will find everything identicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was told by the autozone tech he couldn't clear the codes. Could this be a (NC)state law. Also I'd have to disagree with the ECU location. The quest ecu definitely is under the hood in front of the passenger, and they have water leaks which has caused some corrosion issues. I originally looked for the Villager ecu there to no avail. I did a search behind the glovebox and found the module with the white plug held on with a single bolt, but it seemed to difficult to get to and I didn't see a 'Mode I/II' selector screw hole. So I opted to disconnect battery, which I guess I will do again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Not sure of the law bit. Some can't. You could get a code reader and do it yourself.
You are not looking at the ecu. Here is a diagram out of the quest service manual.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't know how I missed that. Perhaps its a different year that has a large plastic plug w/ a lever that locks it in place. Anyway thanks fo the info.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. I personally think doing it with the battery is the easiest way to go about it.Unless you can get your hands on a code reader.
Mike V., Automotive Technician
Experience: 25 years experience witth all makes, Nissan and Subaru factory trained.