Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

2000 Merc Grand Marquis had misfire on # 2 cyclinder. replace coil & boot. Misfi

2000 Merc Grand Marquis had misfire on # XXXXX cyclinder. replace coil & boot.
Misfire went away. The in mode 6 TID 26/ 2a/2b showed up. What next?

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Do you still have a misfire?

Is it storing any fault codes?

Is the check engine light on or flashing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No misfire now

The only code it had was for a misfire on cyclinder #2

Replaced coil & boot with new

TID 26, 2A & 2B

No check engine light

car has had a drop in fuel economy

Mode 6 data is a collection of if I recall the number correct, the last 400 starts so if you had a concern at any point in the past 400 starts then its going to show up on mode 6. Most techs do not even use mode 6 data because its not all that helpful in diagnostics.

If you just a coil fail then I assume you have high mileage. In that case make sure you have done a tune up using motorcraft plugs. Since the car is not telling you there is a concern via the check engine light then i would not suspect a engine issue at this time but recommend these below steps.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.