Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

2004 mercury: LS..station wagon..VIN..Power Antenna motor grinds

Customer Question

2004 mercury LS station wagon VIN 1MEFM59S54A615481. Power Antenna motor grinds for a while, but antenna stays in extended position either when radio is turned either on or off. Need removal and reinstallation instructions for the replacement or repair. Any ideas where a replacement can be purchased other than at dealer? Part number is XXXXX
Category: Mercury
Expert:  MercSled replied 3 years ago.

MercSled :

Hi, sounds like the motor is working, only the plastic rack style sleeve with teeth is damaged. I recommend contacting aftermarket stereo shops in your area do

MercSled :

Hi, sounds like the motor is working, only the plastic rack style sleeve with teeth is damaged. I recommend contacting aftermarket stereo shops in your area for help. May beable to create a new plastic mast out of bulk, and attatch.

MercSled :

Kindof a tricky procedure, to reinstall, but will enable you to not have to purchase a complete new system.

MercSled :

Will be cheaper than the cost of the motor. Only a plastic spiral gear is required.

Customer:

Sounds correct. I need removal and reinstallation instructions. It wasn't obvious how to take it off. There are some bolts behind the spare tire. Which do I remove?

MercSled :

Hi, the mast system should be located behind the internal panel in the rear, not near the spare tire. Popping off the panel will be required, will feel like you might be breaking something, so be careful. Using a scredriver to locate clips will help.

Customer:

My town is small. I doubt that I can find any spiral gears. Do you think the dealer has the part or not? Probably cost a fortune.

MercSled :

Will be much easier and relieve reliability on your part to simply have a stereo shop do the work.

MercSled :

For Fords, some models have a kit availible, will have to explain to parts department.

MercSled :

Way cheaper than the complete mast itself

Customer:

Are you thinking station wagon? The spare tire is located behind a side panel on the left side. When I remove the spare, I can see the motor through a hole. I see no panel to remove. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't there.

MercSled :

An experienced stereo shop can install without any panel removement, so recommend researching.

Customer:

Do you have a drawing you could send me?

MercSled :

Okay great. When station wagon, what exact model are we talking about from mercury? I may have once, so let me know, thanks. XXXXX dont, will opt out so other experts can help

MercSled :

assuming not a minivan.

Customer:

It is a 7-passenger, 2004 Mercury Sable LS station wagon with the 3 liter engine. I have the VIN if that would be helpful.

Customer:

I have found a replacement on the internet for a price I'm willing to pay if I could only remove it without damaging something.

MercSled :

okay, thank you great information. thought it was a sable.. no vin needed, but thank you!

Customer:

It is a sable and a station wagon. I understand that the Taurus station wagon is the same.

Customer:

If I can remove it, I will see if I can make a part. If not, I would just buy a replacement.

MercSled :

Just researched, do not have a picure, only a mental one, and am certain mast itself can be replaced stricly through the antenna hole on the top towards the rear decklid, so if no shop availible in your area, will opt out and send question to aftermarket accessories, unless you would like to continue working with me.

MercSled :

part is a long white plastic belt, with teeth

Customer:

If I remove the screws on the outside of the vehicle that hold the telescoping antenna, will this belt that MerSled mentioned come out of the antenna mounting hole? Then when I replace it will the belt be in proper alignment with the motor?

MercSled :

Sorry, another expert should be with you shortly.

Customer:

OK, I'll wait a while longer. Thanks

Customer:

I've observed on the internet that I can purchase just the telescoping mast part OR the mast and the motor. I wonder if the replacement mast would have the plastic belt on it?

Customer:

MercSled, Do you know what's going on with this? No one seems interested in this problem, huh? Maybe I should just try another approach. I will need to quit before too long unless someone wants to help.

MercSled :

Hi, noticed no help recieved. Grinding noise proves your anennna motor is working. Strongly recommend contacting any stereo shop for replacement, if not availible, kit should come with directions to replace mast only. Based on your description, this is all you need.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here, Nick asked me to respond to you and take over this question.

Follow the directions below.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Now you have the option to buy the parts or the complete assembly. I would suggest the complete assembly since it is most likely worn out in more ways than one.

At silver state ford parts a complete assembly is 177$

Parts train shows a universal one for 41$

I recommend the direct fit ford part, you can also buy just the parts you need if you would like.

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Mercury
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Thanks Chris,</p><p> </p><p>Your instructions are exactly what I wanted. I had figured out most of the info the other expert told me. When I looked at the panel, it was not obvious that it would come off ... it looked welded in place. </p><p>I was able to find how to replace only the mast on the internet so I ordered an exact replacement. Ford wants a fortune for theirs. The mast itself just cost a few bucks. If it doesn't work, I'll try to find the motor with mast. I'll check out the site you mentioned.</p><p> </p><p>I'll hit the accept button now.</p>
Thank You