Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

2000 mercury cougar: the headlights and parking lights..fuses

I have a 2000 mercury cougar. the headlights and parking lights will not turn on. All of the fuses are ok.

Chuck :

Do you have a voltmeter or test light?

Customer:

No i dont

Chuck :

How did you check fuses and dimmer switch?

Customer:

Pulled fuses out and checked each one. Pulled the dimmer switch out to see that the center pin has the wile/solder link and there was a good connection to the reostat (sp?).

Customer:

the brake lights work, 'dome' light works. When i turn the switch on and pull out for the fogs, the indicator light (idiot) light on the dash turns on.

Chuck :

Did you check the fuses in the under hood fuse panel? The one you need to look at in particular is no.40

Customer:

yes i did. #40, a 'box' type of fuse, looks ok.

Chuck :

You will need a test light or voltmeter to proceed any further. I can send you the wiring schematics but they won't do you any good without a way to test.

Customer:

Thank you. I can get a test light. my email [email protected] Is there a relay, or fusable link, that is just for the parking and headlights?

Chuck :

Fues no.40 is the main feed,then you have several fuses in the under dash fuse panel.I will switch this out of chat mode and upload the schematics to you.

Customer:

thank you very much. I appreciate your time. will this come to me in an email

Chuck :

No it will be posted to this, I will just switch out of chat mode and paste then to it.Then you will be able to save them or print them

Here are the schematics.I included all of them including daytime running lights just in case you need them.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic