Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 mountaineer: awd..reverse..this a cv half shaft going bad

i have a 2002 mountaineer awd 4.0 . when i put it in reverse i hear a pop noise from the front driver side wheel . and now i hear the same thing sometimes when i turn? is this a cv half shaft going bad?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

do you hear any popping noise any other time - like going over bumps or potholes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, just wanted to make sure. From your description of the noise and specifically when it is occurring, it is the halfshaft starting to fail.

Below are directions to replace it:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, please familiarize yourself with safety procedures.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:
  3. Loosen the front axle wheel hub retainer.
    WARNING
    Do not allow the knuckle to hang freely. It is possible to overextend and internally separate each inner CV-joint from its housing.

WARNING
    Do not use a hammer to separate the outboard CV-joint from the hub. Damage to the threads and internal CV-joint components may result.

Wheel and tire assembly
    Hub retainer and the washer. Discard the front axle wheel hub retainer.
    The two bolts and position the disc brake caliper aside
    Tie-rod end from the knuckle. Discard the nut.
    Stabilizer bar link. Discard the nut.

Upper ball joint from the knuckle

4. Press the outboard CV-joint until it is loose in the hub.
  5. Remove the outboard CV-joint from the hub.
    WARNING
    Do not damage the axle shaft oil seal or the machined sealing surface on the inboard CV-joint housing.

NOTE
    A circlip retains the inboard CV-joint housing to the differential side gear in the axle.

6. On the left side, pry the left inboard CV-joint housing from the differential side gear.
  7. On the right side, disengage the right inboard CV-joint housing from the axle tube.
  8. Pull the halfshaft and the axle shaft away from the axle tube, and separate the inboard CV-joint housing from the axle shaft.
  9. Remove the halfshaft assembly from the vehicle.
    WARNING
    Do not damage the axle shaft oil seal, the machined sealing surface on the inboard CV-joint housing, or the axle shaft splines.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
  2. Always install the halfshaft with a new retainer circlip and a new front axle wheel hub retainer.
  3. On the right side, check the retainer circlip engagement after reseating the axle shaft and after installing the halfshaft in the axle. On the left side, check the retainer circlip engagement after installing the halfshaft in the axle. When seated, the retainer circlip will lock the axle shaft and the inboard CV-joint housing to the axle.
    WARNING
    Never use power tools to tighten the front axle wheel hub retainer. Torque the retainer to 184 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).

NOTE
    It may be necessary to support the front suspension lower arm to be able to connect the upper ball joint to the knuckle.

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.