Daryl, Mercury Technician
Experience:  27 year experience as auto tech

Mercury Mountaineer The heater does not work in my 2003 Mountaineer.

The heater does not work in my 2003 Mountaineer. All of the controls appear to be fine but I turn the temperature dial from the cold position a low thwapping noise can be heard from behind the dial and no heat comes out of the vents. The heater core seems ok because both heater hoses get warm under the hood.
The thwapping noise is a continuous clucking or thumping if left on the warm position ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes continuous.
This is a common problem, it is the temp door actuator motor it becomes stripped and that is what is causing the noise and it will not move to the hot/warm setting. The actuator will need to be replaced, this is not a easy job so if you do not have experience in this type of work I would have a repair shop do the job.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yea, it sounded like a windshield motor or something with a stripped plastic hub. I don't have the service manual for that vehicle, is there a website where I can see how to dismantle the dashboard and get to it? What kind of money is it for the actuator and on the other hand, how much would it cost to have the dealer do it?

At a dealer you would be a little over 500.00 for the repair, the manual calls for 6.4 hours for the job and the part is around 65.00. You would be best off to go to a auto parts store and get a complete repair manual for your particular vehicle if you want to try this your self.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and good luck with the repair.