Scott W.
Scott W., Mercury Technician
Experience:  26 yrs. experience with Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.
26022388

98 mercury sable: all the fuses..bulbs..flasher unit..no turn signals

Customer Question

OK, I have replaced the Multifunction switch, checked all the fuses, checked the bulbs and replaced the flasher unit and still have no turn signals or hazard light on my 98 mercuy sable ls...any ideas would be apprecaited.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.

Steve W :

Hello my name isXXXXX do you have the vehicle torn apart yet?

Customer :

Yes as far as the steering column goes...thats all the further I went to replace the switch. I ddin't get the lower cover off but did get the screw out to replace the switch and I just have the upper screw holding the switch in.

Customer :

Headlights I took the bulbs out but i didn't see any burned out and the fuses are easy to get to. The flasher is also easy to get to.

Steve W :

Do you have power on the white with red, and the black with yellow wire at the multifunction switch with the key on?

Customer :

That I have not checked. Since it's late now and the car sits outside I have no way of testijg that tonight. I can test that tomorrow morning. I know in the Haynes manual I have it mentions checking the voltage at various points on the connector. That would be my next step, I guess I was hoping for a quick fix. Now my question would be what if there is no power at one or both wires. Where would I head then.

Customer :

Since I have also lost power to the radio, I was wondering if there is a common power souce for both. I have power at the console as the heater fan works as does the rear window defroster....everything else is dead.

Customer :

Also, just checking the electrical diagram it appears this is the power from the fuses. I have checked the fuses and they are good..at least the ones inside the passenger compartment. Now if there are fuses in the engine compartment then who knows. I did check in engine compartment the fuses at the front of the compartment with the relays inside,.They were all good.

Customer :

I am totally stumped as to why I have no signals... I kinda went in progression, bulbs, fuses, flasher relay and then to expensive way the multi function switch.

Customer :

OK, I have checked the power on both wires and with the engine running or on I have power. With the key off I have power only on the white/red. Thjis I believe is as it should be.

Steve W :

Yes you are correct, let me look at diagram.

Customer :

OKI...

Customer :

.

Customer :

If I read the diagram correctly...by having power on those two wires I should be working. Is there anyway I can check the switch? Since it was new two days ago I can't see how it could be bad. But in looking at my diagram the power on the two wires I checked go through the switch and directly to the bulbs.

Customer :

What if the ground wire on the flasher unit was open (not conected) that would jam up the owrks correct? If i have power on the other two wires at the flasher unit then the switch should be OK. So while your checking on your end I'm headed out to see if I have power at the flasher unit and if teh gorund is intact.

Steve W :

The flasher you replaced, was it electronic?

Steve W :

Check for power at the flasher with turn signal on, red with white and Light blue wire at flasher.

Customer :

OK, I believe I have solved the problem. I have taken the dash apart and found a broken wire. It's the ground wire to the flasher unit and if I read teh diagram corectly it the only common wire to both flashers and turn signals. The local auto parts store doesn't have the pitail assembly so I will hard wire to the actual relay tomorrow when it's daylight.

Steve W :

Sounds good, let me know how it turns out.

Customer :

Will do... thanks for the assistance...

Steve W :

Thanks for using Just Answer, Steve W

Customer :

The problem is solved. I put spade connectors the wires and slipped on teh falsher unit. I now have flashers and blinkers.

Steve W :

Good job, thanks for your time, Steve W