Randall, Mercury Technician
Experience:  32 years, ASE Master technician

2002 cougar: with a 2.5 V6..Changed thermostat and flushed system.

I have a 2002 cougar with a 2.5 V6. I had no heat. Changed thermostat and flushed system. Now have some heat but not close to what it should be. One heater hose is hot the other is cool. The blend door seems to be operating OK. Any suggestions?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. This really sounds like a blocked heater core. let me explain how this can happen etc:

Water does not just go in one side of heater core and loop around through a coil then out the other side. In fact, there is a chamber on each side of the heater core. There are many tubes, side by side that connect the 2 halves of the core. So.. you could have say 50% of the tubes blocked and water will still go through core but core will not heat up enough and water will go through slow. Flushing cores usually does not work as the flush tends to only go through the OPEN cross tubes inside, bypassing the blocked ones. The fact you got some debris out confirms this even more. Unfortunatley, you have a blocked core and flushing just is not going to work any more than it has. can try? putting coolant system cleaner in the rad say in double amounts. run engine till hot. Shut it down and let sit for say 24 hours. then go back and retry flushing core in both directions. This is a last shot effort and may? free the blocked tubes but may not
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is what I figured. With fresh coolant, what are the chances of the debris breaking up or coming loose, with a couple of days of driving?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
What I would do is drop some coolant out, get a good brand of cleaner/flush . Put say double or 2 cans in. Drive for a week or so. See what happens.If no change? run water from hose in both directions and by this time some more debris may come out and all will be ok or maybe at least much better. let that cleaner/flush work in the system for about 5-7 days. It will not hurt anything. It will really help to clean everything. Dont leave in forever but drain and fill agin after say a week