Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis: heating and cooling system..It switches

I have a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis. I am having trouble with the heating and cooling system. It switches from hot to cold but not all the way. It is never fully on heat or fully on AC. The vents change, the ac compressor turns on, and the fan works great.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you with your question.

The common cause for the type of problem you are having is in most cases caused by a failing Blend door acuator and the fix is in most cases replacing it and if you have already done so then I would suspect you may have a faulty blend door that isnt closing completely, I would start with seeing if you can close it manually and see if it then holds hot and cold air.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think it could be the control panel? And do you know what wires to test and see if its working properly?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
-

Is this EATC (buttons)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

EATC?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Electronic air (buttons) or manual air (knobs)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Electronic.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
OK, let start with running the self test and see if any codes come up.

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

024 and 025 are flashing on the display

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Those are both blend door faliure codes.

024022Blend door short
025Blend door failure

Here is the test to be sure. Atart at Teast .

Download the test here , start at Pinpoint test A.

http://wikisend.com/download/464528/A1.pdf
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i click download on the wikisend page it gets to about 100k then freezes

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Here let me send it once more. Its to large of a file for the site process. Let me know if you are still having problems.

http://wikisend.com/download/914404/A1.pdf
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
PINPOINT TEST A: DTC B1249: BLEND DOOR FAILURE
CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
A1 CHECK THE ACTUATOR CLOCKWISE OPERATION (FULL COOL)

EATC Module C227 and C228

Connect a jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C228-26, Circuit 246 (P) and C227-2, Circuit 54 (LG/Y). Connect a second jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C228-13, Circuit 245 (BR/LG) and C227-3, Circuit 57 (BK).

• Does the blend door actuator motor drive clockwise?
Yes GO to A2.
No GO to A3.
A2 CHECK THE ACTUATOR COUNTERCLOCKWISE OPERATION (FULL HOT)

Connect a jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C228-13, Circuit 245 (BR/LG) and C227-2, Circuit 54 (LG/Y). Connect a second jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C228-26, Circuit 246 (P) and C227-3, Circuit 57 (BK).

• Does the blend door actuator motor drive counterclockwise?
Yes GO to A8.
No GO to A3.
A3 CHECK CIRCUIT 246 (P) FOR A SHORT

Electronic Blend Door Actuator C282

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C228-26, Circuit 246 (P) and ground.

• Is the resistance reading greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes GO to A4.
No REPAIR Circuit 246 (P) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A4 CHECK CIRCUIT 245 (BR/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C228-13, Circuit 245 (BR/LG) and ground.

Yes GO to A5.
No REPAIR Circuit 245 (BR/LG) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A5 CHECK CIRCUIT 246 (P)/298 (P/O) FOR AN OPEN

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C228-26, Circuit 246 (P) and the electronic blend door actuator connector Pin C282-7, Circuit 298 (P/O).

• Is the resistance reading less than 5 ohms?
Yes GO to A6.
No REPAIR Circuit 246 (P)/298(P/O) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.
A6 CHECK CIRCUIT 245 (BR/LG)/208(GY) FOR AN OPEN

Measure the resistance between the EATC connector Pin C228-13, Circuit 245 (BR/LG) and the electronic blend door actuator connector Pin C282-8, Circuit 208 (GY).

Yes GO to A7.
No REPAIR Circuit 245 (BR/LG)/208(GY) for an open. TEST the system or normal operation.
A7 CHECK THE ACTUATOR OPERATION
Remove the electronic blend door actuator; refer to Section 412-04.

Electronic Blend Door Actuator C282

With the actuator drive shaft disengaged from the temperature blend door, drive the electronic blend door actuator full hot; refer to Step A1.

With the actuator drive shaft disengaged from the temperature blend door, drive the electronic blend door actuator full cool; refer to Step A2.

• Does the blend door actuator drive both clockwise and counterclockwise?
Yes REPAIR the temperature blend door for a blocked or binding condition. TEST the system for normal operation.
No INSTALL a new electronic blend door actuator. TEST the system for normal operation.
A8 CHECK THE FEEDBACK POTENTIOMETER TOTAL RESISTANCE

Drive the electronic blend door actuator full cool; refer to Step A2.

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pins C227-6, Circuit 436 (R/LG) and C228-9 Circuit 438 (R/W).

• Is the resistance reading between 5,000 and 7,000 ohms?
Yes GO to A13.
No GO to A9.
A9 CHECK CIRCUIT 436 (R/LG)/600(DB) FOR AN OPEN

Electronic Blend Door Actuator C282

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C227-6, Circuit 436 (R/LG) and the electronic blend door actuator connector Pin C282-6, Circuit 600(DB).

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes GO to A10.
No REPAIR Circuit 436 (R/LG)/600(DB) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.
A10 CHECK CIRCUIT 438 (R/W) FOR AN OPEN

Measure the resistance between the EATC connector Pin C228-9, Circuit 438 (R/W) and the electronic blend door actuator connector Pin C282-5.

Yes GO to A11.
No REPAIR Circuit 438 (R/W) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.
A11 CHECK CIRCUIT 436 (R/LG) FOR A SHORT

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C227-6, Circuit 436 (R/LG) and ground.

Yes GO to A12.
No REPAIR Circuit 436 (R/LG) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A12 CHECK CIRCUIT 438 (R/W) FOR A SHORT

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C228-9, Circuit 438 (R/W) and ground.

Yes INSTALL a new electronic blend door actuator. TEST the system for normal operation.
No REPAIR Circuit 438 (R/W) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A13 CHECK THE FEEDBACK POTENTIOMETER LOW SIDE RESISTANCE

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pins C228-9, Circuit 438 (R/W) and C227-18, Circuit 437 (Y/LG).

• Is the resistance between 250 and 1,500 ohms?
Yes GO to A16.
No GO to A14.
A14 CHECK CIRCUIT 437 (Y/LG) FOR AN OPEN

Electronic Blend Door Actuator C282

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C227-18, Circuit 437 (Y/LG) and the electronic blend door actuator connector Pin C282-1.

Yes GO to A15.
No REPAIR Circuit 437 (Y/LG) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.
A15 CHECK CIRCUIT 437 (Y/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pin C227-18, Circuit 437 (Y/LG) and ground.

No REPAIR Circuit 437 (Y/LG) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A16 CHECK THE FEEDBACK POTENTIOMETER HIGH SIDE RESISTANCE

Measure the resistance between the EATC module connector Pins C227-6, Circuit 436 (R/LG) and C227-18, Circuit 437 (Y/LG).

• Is the resistance reading between 3,500 and 6,000 ohms?
Yes GO to A17.
No INSTALL a new A/C electronic blend door actuator. TEST the system for normal operation.
A17 CHECK CIRCUIT 436 (R/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Yes GO to A18.
A18 CHECK CIRCUIT 438 (R/W) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Yes GO to A19.
A19 CHECK CIRCUIT 437 (Y/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Yes INSTALL a new EATC module. TEST the system for normal operation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None of the images loaded with that file. can you send it to my email and see if that helps. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
I am not allowed to have your e mail..

Try this again.

<a href="http://www.sendspace.com/file/jsrj7k" target="_blank">http://www.sendspace.com/file/jsrj7k
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you. all the images loaded this time.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome , and thank you as well.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
If you have found my answer helpful, please be sure to hit the accept button so I can get credit for my work.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certs and Ford Certs