Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

Hi im unable to start my 1998 mercury mystique/duratech 6cyl. The battery is brand new. th

Hi im unable to start my 1998 mercury mystique/duratech 6cyl. The battery is brand new. the starter has been bench tested. the fuses are ok. If you take a screw driver and while having someone hold the ignition switch to start while making contact with the screw driver across the + and i believe the - leads on the solenoid the car will start. not sure where to go from here. any suggestions would be appreciated.
charlie
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Chuck :

What is the anti-theft light doing when you turn the ignition key to the on position? Does it come on solid for a second or two and turn off or does it flash rapidly?

Chuck :

Also would need to know if this is a manual or automatic transmission?

Customer :

Hi. The car is a automatic. Im not sure where the anti theft light is as i dont have a owners maual. There is a small round red light in the center of the dash board that flashes rapidly when i turn the ignition to the on position.

Chuck :

The small red light you see flashing rapidly is the anti-theft light.

Chuck :

When it is flashing rapidly then it is not seeing the chip in your key and will lock out the starter.

Chuck :

normal operation of the light should be a slow steady flash when key is out of the ignition then when you out the key in the ignition and turn it to on it should come on solid for about 2 secs then turn off.This tells you it sees you key.If it starts flashing rapidly then it does not.

Chuck :

Now your problem is most likely either a bad key,do you have more than one? If so does it do this with both keys? Are it could be something wrong at the transciever which is located around the ignition lock cylinder itself.Sometimes the wires will start to break at the connector to the transciever itself.Here is a pic of the transciever.

Chuck :

Here is a copy of the wiring schematic for the starter.

Chuck :

How it works is see where I have the circled drawn in the bottom right? The PATS module will provide a ground to the starter relay here once you have ignition switch to start and it sees the chip in your key.This energizes the coil side of the relay which then creates a magnetic field which will then pull the switch side of the relay closed so power will flow to the starter solenoid.

Chuck :

The starter relay is located in the under hood fuse panel.See where I have circled it in this pic.

Chuck :

And this is the black/yellow wire at the relay.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance