John Mc
John Mc, Mercury Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2004 Grand Marquis: my heater..it my mechanic..same problem..AUTOMATIC

I have had to replace the control head on my 2004 Grand Marquis twice now and my heater is once again not working. I took it my mechanic recently with the same problem and he did some kind of reset by pressing the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then the AUTOMATIC button shortly thereafter. Codes 024 and 025 come across the screen. I was told to then press defrost button and the heater should start working again as I was assured that the control head was fine. Should I be doing something else after the self test is complete and the codes are displayed?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Mercury dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

That off, floor, automatic is the diagnostic procedure. The codes yours was outputting are for a bad blend door actuator. This is under the dash on the passenger side and controls hot to cold functions. To repair you have to replace the actuator which requires removing the dash.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

My mechanic just tore apart the dash to check the acutator two weeks ago and said it was fine.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

He said that if my kids are getting into the car and pushing the buttons, it could cause the system to malfunction.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

He gave me a printout of the instructions, which he used to reset the system and get the heater working again.

John Mc :

No, that is bs. These actuators have a circuit board inside and they can look fine and still be bad. Kids cannot make this system malfunction.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

Sounded funny to me, but it was working again, so I went with it.

John Mc :

If the dash was out you don't take a chance on a less then $75 part. Sometimes these will work when you do the diagnostic because it forces the actuator to go from one extreme to the other but later on they can go to messing up again.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

It has done this intermittently and he has reset it 3 or 4 times now and got it working again.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

I dropped it off for the entire day and picked it up at closing.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

So, I don't actually KNOW that my dash was taken apart.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

That's just what I was told.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

My 3rd control head is still under warranty with him, so I figured he didn't want to replace it, but with the heater working again and my a/c never giving me problems, I really didn't care.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

The funny thing about it all is that my 2 year old was in my car pushing buttons in my car this morning and then my heater suddenly didn't work.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

Is all that he did before was push the OFF/ FLOOR -Automatic button and then press Defrost after the codes were displayed?

John Mc :

Yes you push off and floor at the same time and while holding push automatic.

John Mc :

Your 2 year old probably just set it to a temp where the actuator is bad and this caused it to stop working, basically it has a bad spot.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

Gotcha.

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

Can it be reset to work temporarily until I can get back to the mechanic?

John Mc :

Yes, that will work fine. You can do this as many times as you need to.

John Mc :

I had an explorer with the same problem and did this for a month :)

John Mc :

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Bonuses are appreciated!

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

JACUSTOMER-7qscvqmg- :

So, I just push OFF & FLOOR & AUTOMATIC at the same time?

John Mc :

Yes.

John Mc :

When the numbers come up push either the hot or cold button then you can turn it back on.