Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Mercury Sable GS I need to know where the starter is located

I need to know where the starter is located on a 1999 Mercury Sable. I'm told I can "bang" on it with a hammer to get it to start long enough to drive it to a mechanic. New battery last weekend, has power, just "clicks" when the key is turned.__Thinking starter or starter solenoid... please help. Need to bring it to dealership tomorrow morning, and I need to know where the starter is so I can try to "bang" on it, unless someone has better advice...
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Do you want the procedure to remove and replace the starter motor for your vehicle?

Will the pictures help you located it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to know how to get it to start long enough to get it to the Ford dealership. I live four hours from where my car is stuck, so have to fly up there, pay the dealership to fix it, and hopefully drive it back.

I'm told if I bang on the starter it should start at least long enough to get to the shop, but I don't know if that is sound advice or not... and if it is a wiring issue, it won't start anyway.

????? Stuck.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well, would you like me to provide you with some advice on how to go a bout diagnosing the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd love to be able to just buy the part, and install it myself. I don't have the tools to even do it. I'd have to buy them... so far the only thing I've done is replace the battery. As the weather has gotten colder, it was starting to become sluggish to start, leading me to believe I needed a new battery. Times when it would click and not turn over, I would lift the hood, wiggle the terminals (which are clean and not corroded at all) and it would start. This might just have been dumb luck, or a wiring problem...

So I replaced the battery when it started just clicking. No amount of letting a "jump" car run to the battery allowed it to jumpstart. This has led me to think it may be the starter or just the solenoid. Can you replace just a solenoid? Or do you need a whole new starter? What tools would I need? Can someone who knows VERY little about cars at all do this on their own with limited information?... or should I try to get it towed to the dealership? (I don't need to tell a verified expert how much this will put me out monetarily... I'm stuck right now in a bad way... have to buy a RT plane ticket, the part, the tools... and if I can't get the car running, do it all again next weekend. :(... )

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The starter solenoid cannot just be replaced.. the entire starter needs to be replaced.

IT sounds like your starter motor is just bad.

You only need some basic tools to do the job. Sockets and a ratchet.

You can definitely do this yourself of you do not want to save a couple of bucks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you're willing to send me the information... socket sizes that I need, where the starter is, and how to do it... I'll accept your answer... I need to take care of this ASAP, and I can't do it without help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The starter motor is located towards the front of the vehicle. IT needs to be removed from underneath the vehicle.

From experience, The bolt sizes that hold the starter in are going to be 13, 14 or 15 mm. Maybe even 1/2 inch

HEre is the procedure from alldata to remove and replace the starter.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

WARNING: WHEN SERVICING STARTER MOTOR OR PERFORMING ANY MAINTENANCE IN THE AREA OF THE STARTER MOTOR, NOTE THAT THE HEAVY GAUGE INPUT LEAD CONNECTED TO THE STARTER SOLENOID IS ELECTRICALLY HOT AT ALL TIMES. MAKE SURE THE PROTECTIVE CAP IS INSTALLED OVER THE TERMINAL AND IS REPLACED AFTER SERVICE.

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  2. Disconnect starter motor solenoid connector and starter battery cable from starter solenoid.
  3. Remove upper and lower retaining bolts.
  4. Remove starter motor.

INSTALLATION

1. Position starter motor to engine and install upper and lower bolts finger-tight.
  2. Tighten the upper and lower retaining bolts to 21-29 N.m (16-21 Lb-Ft) .
  3. Install starter battery cable and retaining nut to starter solenoid B-terminal. Tighten nut to 9-14 N.m (80-123 Lb-In) .
  4. Connect starter motor solenoid connector. Tighten to 6.5 N.m (57 Lb-In) Max.
  5. Replace starter motor solenoid terminal cover.
  6. Lower vehicle to floor.
  7. Connect battery ground cable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
:( Image doesn't show up... Do I need it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
No... there is actually no image... I am not sure why it cam through like that...

It is very self explanatory.. just take a look under the vehicle and you will see it.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have a "hoist"... just a regular tire change car jack... will that even work? I'm not sure I can handle this myself or if I am going to need to take it somewhere. :(
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well, that would be up to you...

YES... you should be able ot use a car jack.

Just be sure ot jack it up b y the tire on one side.. and leave the tire on. If you can get a car jack or jack stands, that would be safer.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector