Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 Sable: the interior fuse box..box under..hood

Hi Have a 2001 Sable with excessive battery drain which I have traced to circuit 26. Where is the Battery Saver relay located? Neither the interior fuse box nor the power distribution box under the hood have this relay listed. There is another relay box just next to the battery but none of the three relays there are labelled.

Thanks in advance!
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Are you saying that this draw on on fuse number 26?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I pull fuse 26 then the draw goes away. The draw after interior lights go off is around 1.58 Amp. I did the test also after waiting 45 minutes (using jumper wire so as not to break connection with battery) and the drain was still too high (between 0.300 and 0.500 Amp but that was a week ago and I did not write it down - I could redo the test if needed, but I know it was still way to high).

Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
IS this the fuse number 26 in the battery junction box?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry - fuse 26 in the box under driver dash.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Is it this one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes - a red 10A fuse.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. give me a few minutes and I will get a diagram for this circuit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok - thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. I think I found it....

There is only one 10 amp fuse in the central junction box. It is here in this diagram on the top left. IT supplies power to the Rear window defrost relay. Try pulling out the rear window defrost relay and see if the draw stops.

graphic
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Wait... I apologize... it looks like there is more than one 10 amp fuse in the central junction box.

Does it say something like F227 or F223 next to it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Here it is... I found it. Here is the complete diagram with all of the modules on this circuit.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I wrote the answer below before receiving your last 2 posts - it should explain. I will go look to see about F227 or F223 but it is pretty hard to see in there. Maybe the info below will help.

First of all, there are 6 different 10A fuses in the CJB. They are numbers 12, 23, 26, 27, 28, and 32. Besides that, I already know that pulling fuse 26 stops the draw.

My original question (please re-read my question) was where is the Battery Saver Relay located? I want to try replacing it but cannot find it listed. There are no relays of that size/shape/pin arrangement in the CJB at all. The relays of the correct size/shape/pin arrangement that are in the BJB (above radiator in engine compartment) are all for different purposes, according to the manual.

I have found a third relay box which is not listed in any of the documentation available to me - it is right next to the battery on the side of the battery near the quarter panel (i.e. not the engine side of the battery). Inside of it there are three relays. Two of them are the correct size/shape/pin arrangement for the battery saver relay but I do not know whether either of them are actually the battery saver relay. If they are not, then where is it?

Thanks again for trying
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
According to the wiring diagram, the battery saver relay should be in the central junction box too.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me what number? That doesn't make sense though because all of the relays in there are the wrong type.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to look to see which one it is... but I am having a hard time finding it.

Give me a few minutes...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. did some checking... the only thing my references give me is in the central junction box.

Here is a picture.

graphic
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector