brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2006 Mercury Mountaineer: acceleration..check engine light..diagnostic

I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 and have notice sluggishness at acceleration and the check engine light has come on. I ran a diagnostic and saw P0300 and P0302 codes, which I think are misfires.

Recommendations? Thanks.... Jack Janssons Shawnee, KS
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Yes these are misfire codes and if the vehicle has not had the plugs replaced I would start with them as they are the most common problem to cause a misfire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what are the best plugs to use and what gap should they be set at?
Spark Plug Gap 0.040 - 0.050 inch (1.02 - 1.27 mm) and the best plug for the vehicle would be a motorcraft
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I also change the wire set for these new plugs?
This engine should have individual coils for each plug and doesn't use wires. Typically the coils are good and if they fail will give a different code number so would start with just replacing the plugs.