Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

2002 mercury mountaineer: wheel bearing in passenger side..struts

Customer Question

my 2002 mercury mountaineer is making a very loud poping noise when i turn the wheels mostly at very low speeds in parking lots stop lights and such. I have replaced all lower and upper ball joint end links are inb good shape i have replaced wheel bearing in passenger side i've checked the struts demounted the checked for broken springs. I'm at my wits end with this thing?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Hello, I'm Chris. I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Is the vehicle 4x4 with a manual switch or all wheel drive with no switches?

Customer :

it is all wheel drive no switches to turn it off

Chris (aka- Moose) :

You are going to need to remove the front driveshaft and try to duplicate this concern. If it stops then your AWD is locked up or engageing from a outside factor like mismatched tire brands or sizes or tread depths. If it continues to occur then continue checking the steering and suspension joints to see which are loose and sloppy. This includes both the front and rear as well as the stabalizer bar and links.

Customer :

well all the tires are the same as well as tread depth for the most part sway bar is in good shape but i haven't tried taking the driveshaft off, what would cause he awd to possibly lockup?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

Over time this AWD transfer case can just fail and when it does it locks up making the front and rear axles go the same speed which causes noises and feelings when trying to turn. Do the front driveshaft removal test prior to checking anything else.