Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2000 mercury cougar: v6 engine..oxygen sensor..o2 sensor..cleaner

I have a 2000 mercury cougar v6 engine was just replaced, but it failed the emission test, the print out paper says oxygen sensor and catalytic, if i replace the o2 sensor would that possible correct the catalytic converter, the car had 100,000+ miles before i replaced the engine, could i also use some catalytic converter cleaner to pass the emissions test
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Do you happen to have the code number in that computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry it took so long for me to reply, the only code listed on the emissions print out is P1518, but it says oxygen sensor not ready, The day it failed emissions I tookkthe car back to the mechanic that replaced the engine and he said the code was far air control flap or something so he fixed the flap, it was not closing properly, he said it is closing correctly and opening correctly. but when the mechanic scaaned itthe oxygen sensor message came up again on his scanner print out as well, the print out also says some other sensors are not ready. I took it to Meineke and the guy there told me it needed a new engine intake manifold, I did not tell him I had just got the engine replaced in the car, he told me it would cost 1200 dollars to fix, I said opkay and got in my car and left. becuase that cant be true if I just got an engine put in it, so I wnet back to the mechanic who replaced the engine for me and he told me that was not what it needed, he said it has to do with the sensors or the catyliic converter, so now I dont know what it needs and i am tired af paying all these places the 70 dollars to check it out and they tell me all different things, could it possible be the O2 sensors and if so how many are on the cougar, or maybe a tune up will do it, please help me. I have spent over $2000.00 this far
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

P1518 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open

Possible Causes

IMRC connector is damaged
IMRC Monitor signal circuit shorted to ground
IMRC actuator has failed
PCM has failed

We are going to have to run some checks in order to figure out what is going on. Check the voltage to the Intake Manifold Runner Control actuator on top of the front valve cover. Battery voltage should be on the Green/White wire at the actuator. With the actuator unplugged and the key on, check for 5 volts on the Black/Blue wire in the connector. If that checks out ok, then back probe the Black/Red wire with a jumper wire, and install a voltmeter on the Black/Blue wire, with the voltmeter ground lead to any good ground. Then, with the key on and the actuator connected, ground and unground the Black/Red wire using the jumper wire. Look for the actuator cable to pull in and open the levers on the intake manifold when the Black/Red wire is grounded, and for the cable and levers to release when the Black/Red wire is ungrounded. Verify that the levers in the intake manifold move freely. Also, monitor the voltage on the Black/Blue wire as the actuator cable pulls in and releases. When the actuator is released, the voltage should be 5 volts, and when it pulls in, the voltage should drop to slightly less than 1 volt.

Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so do I need a new manifold, becuse the guy told me after it failed and i took it back to the mechanic who installed the engine, the the air control flap or something was not closing properly and he fixed that, then he rescanned it in his shop and came up with out that code but with just the 02 sensor and catlytic no codes were given just the words and beside it it says not ready
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

Since I ma not there ot test if for you, I don't know what the results are or what they are going to be when the test that I gave you is run. It is possible for the intake to intake manifold runner to be bad. However, the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Actuator goes bad a lot as well. Just be sure to check everything before replacing the intake manifold.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE