Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1996 mercury cougar: this ball joints, bearings..front suspension

1996 mercury cougar xr7 with clunking noise seemingly coming from passenger side front when driving. Is this ball joints, bearings or can the problem be isolated. Most repair shops seem to want to do everything in the front suspension saying if you just do one or the other it might not fix the problem. Seems there should be one answer or one way to determine the problem. I don't want to pay $1000 for repairs on a car I only paid $1000 for and was running great when I purchased it.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

does it make the noise when driving or just when you hit bumps?tell me all you can

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When driving, it is pretty much continuous when driving.

please try to explain the sound......does it get louder turning left or right?does the car dive ok?tell me all you can

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The car drives ok, there is no difference when turning, it does rattle more over even minor bumps; I haven't had it up on a lift to check the stability but theride is not spongy so I sort of ruled out the shocks/struts, no grinding noise.

ok..check to make sure the lower ball joint is not worn and the tie rod end....but,the the strut does sound like your problem..even though it does ride ok...these will do this

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP