Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1994 mercury sable: started right..hose..cranking..check engine light

Customer Question

1994 mercury sable 3.8.Starts fine a few times then won't start.I tapped on the throddle sensor the last 10 or so times it happened and the next turn of the key it started right up until yesterday that didn't seem to work.I also had the air hose off the back of the carberator and had my wife pump the gas petal while cranking but I did not smell any gas.Any ideas on what to check and how to check it.By the way no check engine light is comming on for this problem.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you checked for spark at the plugs yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No but I installed a new ignition coil 2 weeks ago thing that that could be the problem.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it could be, first check to see if it has spark, can you do this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am at work and not with the car and since the car started later yesterday I guess I need to know what to look for if I find that there is no spark at one of the plug wires at the spark plug when this happens again.I don't mind paying for your time but I really want to try and get to the root of this problem and I am also grateful for your help.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
If it doesnt have spark, then suspect the ignition module, if it does have spark, then suspect a bad fuel pump, and you will have to run a manual fuel pressure check, it must be at least 30 psi, if it is lower then that, then replace the fuel pump,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the ignition module you are talking about inside the distributer cap and is the manual gas press test done while the engine is cranking and I saw a valve stem on one of the chrome gas lines heading for the carb is that where I do the pressure test?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
the ignition module is on the right front shock tower, I will post a picture of it below, The fuel pressure is checked at the valve on the chrome fuel rail, the gauge screws on there,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for you answers I will be getting to work on this as soon as I get home.I just want to make sure about checking the fuel pressure.Do you look for 30 psi while the engine is cranking?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it should have at least 30 psi while cranking,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tim.I will contact you again if none of this works.Of course I have to wait for it to happen again before I can check these items.Since I can hear the fuel pump come on each time you turn the ignition off and back on my guess is going to be the ignition module.I will be picking up a gas pressure tester today on the way home.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Anytime my friend let me know how it turns out, just reply back to this question,Tim