Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2000 mercury grand marquis blower motor wont run on any

Customer Question

2000 mercury grand marquis blower motor wont run on any speed
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

ok

check the blower relay...but the problem may be the blower motor itself

thanks

Switches & Relays

Switches are used in electrical circuits to control the passage of current. The most common use is to open and close circuits between the battery and the various electric devices in the system. Switches are rated according to the amount of amperage they can handle. If a sufficient amperage rated switch is not used in a circuit, the switch could overload and cause damage.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The underhood fuse and relay panel usually contains fuses, relays, flashers and fusible links

Some electrical components which require a large amount of current to operate use a special switch called a relay. Since these circuits carry a large amount of current, the thickness of the wire in the circuit is also greater. If this large wire were connected from the load to the control switch, the switch would have to carry the high amperage load and the fairing or dash would be twice as large to accommodate the increased size of the wiring harness. To prevent these problems, a relay is used.

Relays are composed of a coil and a set of contacts. When the coil has a current passed though it, a magnetic field is formed and this field causes the contacts to move together, completing the circuit. Most relays are normally open, preventing current from passing through the circuit, but they can take any electrical form depending on the job they are intended to do. Relays can be considered "remote control switches." They allow a smaller current to operate devices that require higher amperages. When a small current operates the coil, a larger current is allowed to pass by the contacts. Some common circuits which may use relays are the horn, headlights, starter, electric fuel pump and other high draw ciruits.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Relays are composed of a coil and a switch. These two components are linked together so that when one operates, the other operates at the same time. The large wires in the circuit are connected from the battery to one side of the relay switch (B+) and from the opposite side of the relay switch to the load (component). Smaller wires are connected from the relay coil to the control switch for the circuit and from the opposite side of the relay coil to ground

Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln Town Car 1999-2005

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
  3. Disengage the wire harness connectors from the retainer.
  4. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the motor cooling hose.
  6. Remove the screws and remove the blower motor.
    NOTE Prior to removing a wheel that is to be reused, clean any corrosion from the blower motor shaft to prevent damage to the wheel mounting shaft.
  7. Remove the wheel from the blower motor as follows:

Remove the push clip. Remove the wheel from the blower motor.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Blower motor cooling hose

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Blower motor mounting plate

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Wheel to the blower motor, if removed. Blower motor and securely tighten the screws. Motor cooling hose Blower motor electrical connector Wire harness retainers

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could it be the fan control switch at the thumb roll control knob at the dash. i have checked relays and they are ok.

well

you need to check for power at the motor...if you have power,then the motor is bad,,,if you don't..then,yes,it may be the controls

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replaced blower motor ... relays test ok ...... fuses ok.... what do you sugest now

if you are sure the relays are fine..i would think it is the control switch

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replaced blower motor ... relays test ok ...... fuses ok.... went ahead and replaced relays ....this car has automatic temp control where would the fan control be in this unit . at the thumb wheel or do i have to replace the whole unit ?

i will opt out..maybe one of the other guys has another opinion on this..someone will be with you

thanks

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hello, new expert here. Do you have a testlght? If so, I need you to check the plug at blower to see if you have power there with key in Run position. On the ATC (auto climate) the blower has 12 volts all the time and the blower control module makes/breaks the grounds for various speeds. Please LMK if you have power on the BROWN/ w ORANGE tracer wire at blower
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tests power on to blower motor with key in on position tests no power to blower motor with key off do you have any suggestions

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
I wish I could send a picture of the exact location but the blower speed controller is basically in the evaporator case under the hood near firewall. It will be the case near the blower motor with 5 wires going to it. I suspect this is the problem. Now.. without scanner data I can only think this is the problem as it is common problem and you have power to blower. below is some more info

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the wire harness connector.
  2. Drain the cooling system below the heater hoses.

1. Disconnect the heater hose.

1. Remove the screws and remove the blower motor speed control.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

The heater blower motor switch resistor has the following features:

• The assembly is located in the engine compartment on the evaporator housing toward the center of the vehicle.
  • Three resistor elements are mounted on the resistor board to