Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Certified Technician, 36 years Ford Tech

mountaineer: wheel drive..if i remove the front drive shaft

I have an all wheel drive 04 mountaineer,if i remove the front drive shaft,can i still drive the vehicle?
Yes, this will not harm anything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did not know that i had two questions opened,i got an answer from another expert who says this will damage the transfer case.

It can cause damage because the the transfer case is mechanically linked, the driveshaft yoke is an output. You don't have to pay for my answer if you don't feel confident, but ask the other expert to explain to you how it will cause damage.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok,if i remove the front drive shaft,which is what i prefer to do,the transfer case won't leak fluid from the hole where the driveshaft goes?I have had so many issues with this all wheel drive i would really like it to just beXXXXX
The output yoke for the front driveshaft is retained inside of the transfer case by a snap ring and stays in the case when you remove the driveshaft and will not leak.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok,one final question and then i will accept,how do i remove the front drive shaft?
There are (4) bolts that hold the front joint to the front yoke, you will need a #30 torx bit/socket to remove them, the back side is held on by (6) 8mm headed bolts, you will need to tap the back half with a hammer to separate it from the yoke.graphic

Edited by Brian on 4/14/2010 at 1:26 AM EST