kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2000 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L. The O/D light is flashing

Customer Question

2000 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L. The O/D light is flashing after driving a few miles. Notably, we got two new tires at wal-mart just yesterday. The others are the same size but older like 5/32 to 7/32 tread left. Do you think it is probably the transmission sensing that it is slipping since there are slight height differences? Or is it more likely that I have other... worse or more complex problems. I'm supposed to leave early tomorrow for a trip and I've NEVER seen this error on this vehicle.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
The tires should not cause this kind of a problem. Have you checked the fluid level? Is the check engine light on when the engine is running or not running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already checked the transmission fluid level when engine running and warm on level surface and it was just right. color looked OK to me too. No check engine lights. just the flashing O/D light after driving a few miles. It will also flash when the engine is on when parked. No flashing after stopping the engine and removing the key.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
There where three 4.0 engines put into the 2000 mercury mountaineer. Can you tell me what the 8th vin digit is please so I can make sure to look up the correct information for your truck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

E is the 8th digit.

Information is appreciated but mainly I wanted to consult with someone to determine if the tire size issue would be a likely easy fix by replacing the tires. I'm planning on a big family trip tomorrow and might need to use the other (smaller) vehicle.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

I opted out so another expert could try to give you more detailed information about your problem. The size of the tires " new versus the old" Will not be enough to cause the o/d light to flash. For the light to flash there would have to be a problem within the transmission. If it where my truck I would not take it on a long trip till I had taken it to a transmission shop to have it checked out. If the tire size had been the cause of the o/d light flashing you would also have an abs light on.