jimchill
jimchill, Mercury Technician
Experience:  over 15 years working at ford/lincoln/mercury dealership

I have a 2000 Mercury Sable LS; Can you tell if there was a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mercury Sable LS; Can you tell if there was a problem a problem with the fuel injector (code 3) to be replaced? I've had several repairs done on this car to the tune of almost $3000. When I tell the mechanic the problems it seems that they look for things more expense and the minor items escalates. (Just because women don't the language doesn't mean the don't know their car).
I've gotten a rebuilt transmission, front/back axle replaced, brakes (from use this I understood), starter (2nd starter, first was replaced FREE just after I purchased this car @/34,000) since I drive Mercury's I'm familiar with replacing them a lot.
I know that the fuel injectors can get clogged. Could there be some wire that causing the miss fire of something completely different. After one hour of an engine diagnosis I was told that the plugs & wires was good but believe that the fuel injector wasn't working properly and need two more hour to make sure (@$84 per hr. I had the car towed home.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Sorry that you are having problems with your mercury lets see what we can do. I need to get some information from you first.

Can you describe the concern with your car for me in detail?

Can you get me the 8th digit of the vehicle id number so I can find out which 3.0l engine you have? There are two types of 3.0

Do you have the fault codes from the car other than mis fire 3 ?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX can provide me with this information we will try our best to get you a fix for your car. jim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jim,

When I took my car in because of P1405 code (Emission Contol) on 11/24/09. Now I the engine light came after I got gas (on Tuesday 3/2) and ten minutes later it was a continueous flashing. This time the code is P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire. Said mostly likely a Fuel injector needed to be 100% sure they need to remove the intake and check the injector. I declined because they it would take about two more hours ($84 hr.).

My vin# XXXXX will this help? It's a 3.0 engine

Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
First of all I am sorry that you are having problems with your Mercury lets see what we can do for you. With the code p0303 #3 misfire, it could be alot of different things, an injector could be one of them but there are other problems too. there is no way that just from that code that anyone could say it needs an injector. Another question for you. When you were fueling up, was the car running? If not double check to make sure the fuel cap is tight on the vehicle. One more question. How was the car running when the light came on? I am thinking that the repair shop was trying to take you for a ride. Is the light still on or did they clear the code? If the light is still on tommoro go to an auto zone or a OReilys auto parts store and see if they will pull the code for you. They usually do this at no charge since they want to sell you parts to fix it. Let me know on this becuase it sounds fishy to me. Thank you, jim
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
Why did you have the car towed home? It is not driveable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Sorry, I had to go to a meeting at church on Saturday, and use the transit system which is slow and I just went to sleep after getting home in the chair. So I just woke up. I fully understand Jim's answer! I did check the gas cap, my engine was off when I put gas in the car, and yes the engine light is tell on and my sounds like a mack truck when starting. The car was sitting from 2/14-3/1/10. Before the Eng. light this time the car would launch forward when waiting at light/stopped or @ enter sections sometimes I thought it would cut off. where do it click the ACCEPT button. I can get the car fixed until 3/17 (provided it's not over $200 on a budget Sr. Senior. You have been very helpful afraid to drive with the flashing engine light. I will check the response again before going to church before 9am.
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
hello, I understand your problem better now. With the flashing check engine light it is a random or continuous misfire, in your case number XXXXX cylinder. It could be a few things, for example a bad spark plug or sparkplug wire, Defective coil, or a bad or clogged fuel injector. You would have to start with the basic checks. The shop you brought it to said they determined that it was a posible injector, i am assuming that they did the necessary checks to determine that they had to check that. Labor time to remove and replace an injector is 1.6 hours and if needed an injector is 110.00 for a ford part, an aftermarket one may be less or the injector may be cleanable. In the mean time before you get it back to a shop i would reccomenf that you refrain from driving the car is could cause more damage to the engine or the catalytic convertor. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me. thank you, jim
jimchill, Mercury Technician
Experience: over 15 years working at ford/lincoln/mercury dealership
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will let you know what the problem is with my car next week. Thanks for your help.

FYI:

The Name on the visa card is Under Reginald B. Amory Jr., 25 Stratford PK. 14611

Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX i will be here