Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

how do you get the pitman arm off the steering gear box when

how do you get the pitman arm off the steering gear box when replacing the steering gear box? Does the other end of the pitman arm have to be removed too? For a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. What tool? Thanks in advance.

Here are instructions you can barrow the tool from your local parts store. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Dan. About the tool, would a Pitman Arm puller work, because I am not sure I can get that specialized part at my local parts store? It looks like a gear puller with only two arms. I read about that elsewhere. And will I need to remove the pitman arm from the centerlink junction too? I hope not.

It is basically a gear puller and a gear puller would probably your parts store they probably have a universal tool that will work. You shouldnt need to remove the pitman arm from the ceterlink junction. I'm getting offline for the night so if you havem ore questions I"ll reply tomorrow. Thanks