Randall, Mercury Technician
Experience:  32 years, ASE Master technician

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer V8 with 70,000 miles on it.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer V8 with 70,000 miles on it. The engine went into fail-safe mode the other day. I took it to be serviced..the diagnostic code was p2106 (no other codes are appearing). They cleaned the throttle body but it still goes into fail-safe mode when it is driven. I was told I needed to replace the throttle body but problem is they can't find one nationwide. The Ford Parts department at my local dealer says the release date on this part if Feb 28th... I can't be without my vehicle for the next 4 weeks. They've also searched their database for other dealers with no luck. Apparently this part is flying off the shelves (sounds like a Recall to me if everyone is having this problem). Can anyone help me? Have ideas on where we can find the part sooner?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Randall replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am unsure as to why the shop states throttle body as they must have their reason, It could be a linkage or butterfly problem but more commonly the TPS or throttle postion sensor is the problem that can set the 2106 code. The TPS mounts to throttle body and is replaceable on its own. If the shop has determined the Body must be changed, there are some avilable in the US at the sire noted below. It will be used but available. these suppliers will ship right to you. Search your vehicle on the site and select "throttle body" from the list. As far as new, i am unsure as the dealer can do National search and if none available? there is a reason. there are no TSB ( service bulletin) or recalls for the throttle body, only the TPS sensor mounted on it. A TPS not signalling the computer correctly will very easily put the vehicle in "limp mode"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Re: your statement "The TPS mounts to the throttle body and is replaceable on its own" I was told that prior to 2004 the TPS component and throttle body were two separate parts but beginning in 2004, the part became one unit...and this is the part that they cannot find.

Re: the site for car parts...I'm really uncomfortable with purchasing a used part. Do you have any ideas of where I can look for a new part?

Expert:  Randall replied 6 years ago.
I have not run into this . I have done just the TPS in a 2004 vehicle but unsure what the issue is with the one you have. below is info about the TPS replace for the 2004 and 2005 v8 in this vehicle

2005 Grand Marquis
2004-2005 Mountaineer
Replace the throttle position sensor (TPS) following the instruction sheet included in the TPS service kit. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B36.11 and higher, or B37.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B37 CD. Calibration files are also available at the website. CAUTION FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE TPS REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURE WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE TPS SCREWS.

Parts Block