Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

having problem getting EVAP to reset OBD keeps reading not

Customer Question

having problem getting EVAP to reset OBD keeps reading not ready. I have driven car everywhere. Highway local traffic at all different speeds. the egr reset the cat reset but this one keeps reading not ready. Should I check the canister and sencer?
Thanks
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

EVAP is very hard to set the monitor. You fuel level must be 1/4 to 3/4 tank,IAT must be above 40 deg F and if you cycle the ignition switch off before it runs you have to have a 6 hour cool down period before it will attempt to run again.

Are you getting any codes other than P1000?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I' m not getting any check engine lights or OBD codes. The battery cable disconnected right before inspection. EGR and CAT reset but this one code EVAP is reading not ready. My inspection is up and can't pass emission. It's 19 degrees where I live, is there any other way to reset EVAP?
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

It will be very hard at 19 degrees. The IAT or ACT will rise some due to engine heat but I don't know if you can get it to 40 degrees are not.

Do they not allow you just one monitor not completed for emissions?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's NY state I don't think so or my inspection station would issue a inspection sticker
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
Need to figure out how to get some heat to the ACT sensor,it is internal of the MAF sensor. Let me research this a few minutes and see if I can think of something that may work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Thanks
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a way to monitor the monitors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all I have is the OBD reader
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

You can tell when a monitor completes with it correct?

Can you see data with it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

You can try and use some card board to retain the heat.

Try blocking fresh cold air from getting straight into the air box tube. See where I have it circled in this pic.

graphic

Try to see if you can keep the fresh cold air from it where it is mainly drawing the warm engine compartment air. You can also maybe block half of the radiator opening off with cardboard so it runs a little hotter. You will have to make sure you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel but less than 3/4.Let it set for over 6 hours to complete the cool down cycle. You will then need to drive it between 40 to 80 mph at about 20 to 70% load and do a couple of 10 to 20 mph decels during this run.

Remember this monitor will only attempt to run once during a drive cycle so if you cycle the switch off you will have to wait another 6 hours before you can repeat.

The use your code reader to see if the P1000 clears.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance