Andy I
Andy I, Mercury Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech for Ford,Lincoln,Mercury /ASE Master Tech= drivablility,AC, electrical,eng repair

1989 mercury tracer: cranking..wont start..spark plugs..compression

Customer Question

1989 mercury tracer died suddenly and when you try to start it it just keeps cranking and wont start. i replaced the fuel pump and its getting 60 psi, i pulled the spark plugs its getting spark, and it has compression, and its in time why wont it start.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
You should only have 28 to 36 psi of fuel pressure, you may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator and its just pushing fuel past the injectors. Try to hold accelerator to the floor and crank for a minute and see if it starts. Please remember to hit the green accept button, Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i held the accelerator to the floor and nothing happend its just kept carnking

Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
What kind of compression did the motor have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they were all around 150
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Ok that is good compression and you said you had fire at the plugs so we need to address the 60 psi of fuel pressure cause this is extremely way to much. Why did you replace the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we replaced it because there wasnt really pressure in the lines and now we have pressure... i have the shop manual for the car and one of the tests says connect the fuel pressure gauge in line with the fuel rail and rail and turn the engine on the pressure should be around 60 psi and when i just checked it i had 53 psi with a dead end connection and had 42 psi with a inline connection.

Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a noid light to hook up to a fuel injector to see if its pulsing while your cranking the engine, and you said you had good fire correct, is it a nice blue spark or does it have some orange in it. Needs to be solid blue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its a solid blue spark and i dont think its the fuel injectors cuz the way it died. it was running fine then it stalled and wouldnt start why would all fuel injectors go out at once
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Not all injectors going bad, but a electrical problem like the pcm and its not pulsing the injectors. when it died did it baug down and die or did it seem like someone just turned the key off. Please remember to hit the green accept button.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
like someone turned the key off
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
when it cranks does it try to start at all, are you sure it didn't break a timing belt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i checked the belt and its in time... its got all the componets for it to start but its not

Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Pull a spark plug out and make sure its not fuel soaked and if its not, try and spray a little starter fluid down the throttle body and see if it trys to start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the spark plugs look fine and the starter fluid didnt seem to help but i dont know if i sprayed it in the right place
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.

were the air filter is, there is a tube off of it and it should lead to the throttle body.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea then i sprayed it in the right place it did nothing. im totally stumped it should at least start
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Was it starter fluid and how much did you spray.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it was starter fluid and i sprayed quite a bit
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Did you say the spark plugs were dry, and just wondering have you taken a fuel sample to check for any water.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea the spark plugs were dry and i didnt take a fuel sample
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
lets make sure we have good fuel and i would pop off the distributor cap and crank the engine and watch the rotor and see if it spins around smoothly. You're right this is a good one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did pop off the distributor cap and it does spin smoothly and its definatly in time... how would i go about testing the fuel?
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
If you feel a clear jar about three quarters up and let it sit for a little while, if there is anything in it, it will separate and you will be able to see it. If we don't see anything with the fuel i am starting to lean more towards a faulty computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how long does it need to sit and what will it look like if it is bad fuel
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
About 15 minutes and you will see it separate, it will almost have a line you can see. If its got water in it you will be able to tell, if it just looks the same from top to bottom then its probably fine, as long as it burns good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well i cant see it being bad gas since the car died suddenly after it was running good. i had gotten gas about 4 days before it broke down.
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Ok so we are sure we have good fuel and not a pressure problem, good compression, good and solid blue fire, good cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, and positive its in time. Is this all correct.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea thats all correct. it should start but it doesnt
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Man i'm sorry but i'm going to have to opt out on this question, maybe one of the other experts can help get your problem solved, got me stumped also.