MercSled
MercSled, Mecury Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Master Ford Lincoln Mercury completed all training in every catagory with honors
21564301

my 2000 mercury cougar alarm goes off randomly, lights blink

Customer Question

my 2000 mercury cougar alarm goes off randomly, lights blink and kills my battery. i lost my owners manual, so what number is XXXXX fuse. what fuse can i pull to disable it
Category: Mercury
Expert:  MercSled replied 6 years ago.
Hi! Definitely an after market alarm and must be removed. Look under the dash and remove the small black box hanging in the wires, along with all "quick connect" wires that are spliced into random wires. (looks like a red or blue "T" on the wire, just simply pull the part sticking out of the middle) The reason why you can not find the fuse is that it is spliced into a different circuit, being an after market ford alarm. If the alarm is a necessity to you, you must replace the "brain" which is the small black box with the wires coming out of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it is the factory alarm with the factrory remote. no wires have been spliced. the remote was lost a year ago,so i pulled the automatic door lock fuse, which the alarm is powered by. but now i have no door lock button. do you know how to diconnect the factory alarm without messing up the door locks?

Expert:  MercSled replied 6 years ago.
Is the main concern that the lights keep blinking? or does the horn actually activate?
Feel we can fix this without disconnecting anything.
Thanks
Nick.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
main concern is fixing the blinking lights, because it kills the battery, but fixing the horn would be nice too!what do you think?
Expert:  MercSled replied 6 years ago.
Well, did some extensive research on theory and operation of the entire alarm system.
All inputs that can trigger the alarm include all door ajar switches, hood switch and trunk switch. Based on the concern, I feel as though you have a door ajar switch intermittently reading open while the alarm is engaged. This causes the false alarm. Most of the time a switch is just dirty and sticks open. I want you to spray a penetrating oil (wd-40 works
great) on all latch assemblies in side door, spray a lot, then open and shut each door about ten times to lube the assembly. Next, open the trunk and do the same thing, along with the latch at the hood with the hood open.
Do this and get back to me, hopefully no parts will have to be replaced, and a little maintence will fix the issue.
Thanks so much,
Nick.