Earl
Earl, Mercury Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician

Remove the filler neck from the tank on a 2001 mercury cougar v6 DOHC

Customer Question

how to remove the filler neck from the tank on a 2001 mercury cougar v6 DOHC
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

-HelloCustomer

Enclosed are the instructions you need to remove the filler neck on your 2001 Cougar.Let me know if you need anything else please.

DOWNLOAD HEAR

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am just trying to figure out how to undo the connection between the gas tank and the filler tube
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
-If you follow the steps I sent you, you should have success. Once the filler is loose, its slides out of the tank.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
those steps are for removing the filler tube I am removing the tank and just want to disconnect it from the tank and it doesnt seem to just slide out of the tank
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

You will have twist the tank as you pull.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where does it say anything about twisting the tank?

Does the exhaust have to come off before the tank can come out?

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

It dosnt have to come off but loosened and lowered .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do the straps have to be removed on both ends? They are rusty and the torsion bar is preventing it from turning to pull them out. Also can you offer any more insight on the connection between the tank and the filler tube? Do I lower the tank slightly and they rotated it a few degrees and It will just drop down? It seems like there are tabs so that it would not twist

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
-Look at the instrucions in step 7 on the filler next (first ones I sent) . The straps just have to be unbolted on one end and pulled down,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It just says remove. Any more insight on that connection between the gas tank and the filler tube

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

-I have never had a problem trying to get the tank out. Its likely giving you fits because its rusty. Step seven says to lower the suspension cross member.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not trying to remove the entire filler tube. I am only trying to remove where it connects to the gas tank so that I can remove the gas tank. It is just a single connection. Not the entire filler tube. That connection is the only thing I'm tryin to get off. The gas tank is free besides that connection. It is step 11 in the removing the fuel tank steps.

11. Disconnect the fuel filler neck from the fuel tank

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Then its just likely stuck because of the rust. It should pull out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are two plastic pieces. One that is screwed into the tank and another that fits inside of it. Then there is the metal filler tube. Does only the metal part come out and the two plastic pieces stay? or is the one plastic pieces attached to the the metal filler tube?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure before I start pulling on things

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Do you have the clamp loose?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphic

This is the what the connection between the tank and the filler is, it isnt like the one you posted

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Are we sure of the Year?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Positive that it is a 2001 Mercury Cougar V6 DOHC That picture is from the removing the tank instructions

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

The metal part should come out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you positive that the two plastic pieces done just separate because there is movement between the two

Expert:  Earl replied 4 years ago.

Hello elvisryan my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you.

In order to disconnect the metal tube portion you will need push the inner plastic ring down into the outer ring while at the same time pulling out on the metal pipe portion. They can be quite difficult to separate. Hope this helps.