ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1
Experience:  Ford certified 30years exp
11302663

2001 Mercury Sable: LS...locks come..Also today the car alarm went

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mercury Sable LS. Lately the door ajar light in the panel has been coming on even though there is no door ajar and then the locks come up and down. Also today the car alarm went off three times a few second after I exited and locked the door. It has been very cold here in Florida. Can cold effect the electrical system?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  ironmike replied 6 years ago.

greetings,

ford cars are known are known for their door ajar switches sticking. The only way to tell without the ford tester would be to remove the door panel one door at a time for access to the ajar switch. They mount in the latch assembly and it is easier to remove the latch to get to, I have done them with latch in place(twisting and cuts usually needed) With the wds or the new vcm the ajar switches can be check without guessing. You might try spraying each latch assembly with penetration oil and then close, shut ,lock and unlock all the doors. There is a chance the GEM module is faulty but this would be the most common. let me know how it works out.

good luck