lostrider
lostrider, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  22 years on Fords,Lin,Merc

I am replacing the lower control arm and ball joints on a 1997

I am replacing the lower control arm and ball joints on a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis. Using a floor jack and pickle fork I lowered the control arm and removed the shock and coil spring. I am unable to reinsert the coil spring back into the auto. Is there some secret way to do this? I replaced the lower control arms and ball joints on a 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis and the ball joint slipped right back in.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, there are special tools required to install the coil springs., Spring Compressor, here are the replacement instructions, hope this helps.

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Upper Ball
2 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Compression Rod
3 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Forcing Nut
4 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Thrust Washer
5 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Lower Ball Nut
6 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Plate
7 - (Part of D78P-5310-A) Pin

Removal

1. Raise the front of the vehicle and position safety stands under both sides of the frame just behind the front suspension lower arms (3078). Remove the wheel and tire.

1. Remove disc brake caliper (2B120), front disc brake rotor (1125) and front brake anti-lock sensor (2C204) if equipped. Discard disc brake caliper mounting bolts.

1. Remove the front suspension bumper (3020); inspect and save for installation if in good condition.

1. Remove front shock absorber (18124) as described.

1. Disconnect the steering sector shaft arm drag link (3304) from the steering gear sector shaft arm (3590).

1. WARNING: TO PREVENT INJURY, DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT FROM THE BALL JOINT STUD AT THIS TIME.

Loosen the lower ball joint stud nut one or two turns.

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
    1 N808509-S428 Skirted Nylon Ring Nut (2 Req'd)
    2 3105 Front Wheel Spindle
    3 3078 Front Suspension Lower Arm
    4 N620468-S56 Nut (2 Req'd)
    5 3020 Front Suspension Bumper
    6 N800980-S101 Bolt (4 Req'd)
    7 N805965-S60 Nut (4 Req'd)
    A - Tighten to 148-201 Nm (109-148 Lb-Ft)
    B - Tighten to 34-47 Nm (26-34 Lb-Ft)
  1. Tap the front wheel spindle (3105) sharply, near the lower stud, with a hammer to loosen the stud in the front wheel spindle.

1. Place a floor jack under the front suspension lower arm.

1. Install the coil spring compressor as described under Spring Removal and remove the front coil spring (5310).

1. Remove the ball joint nut and remove front suspension lower arm assembly.

1. Remove fasteners at frame brackets and remove front suspension lower arm.

Installation

1. Position front suspension lower arm in frame brackets and loosely assemble fasteners.

1. NOTE: Skirt can be removed from nut provided sufficient load of 889N (200 lb) can be generated between ball joint and spindle taper.

Position the front suspension lower arm ball joint stud into the front wheel spindle and install the new skirted nylon ring nut. Tighten nut to 148-201 Nm (110-148 lb-ft).

1. NOTE: Make sure that the pigtail of the lower coil of the front coil spring is in the proper location of the front spring insulator (5414) on the front suspension lower arm, between the two holes.

Position the front coil spring into the upper spring pocket and raise the front suspension lower arm, aligning the holes in the arm with the holes in the crossmember. Install bolts and nuts with washer installed on the front bushing. Do not tighten at this time.

1. Remove the coil spring compressor.

1. Connect the steering sector shaft arm drag link at the steering gear sector shaft arm and install the pitman arm nut. Tighten to 47-63 Nm (35-46 lb-ft). Continue to tighten until slot for cotter pin is aligned. Install a new cotter pin.

1. Install front shock absorber as described.

1. Install the front suspension bumper. Tighten front suspension lower arm-to-frame bracket bolts to 148-201 Nm (110-148 lb-ft).

1. Install front disc brake rotor shield (2K005), front disc brake rotor and disc brake caliper. Install front brake anti-lock sensor, if equipped. Use new caliper mounting bolts.

1. Install wheel and tire and lower vehicle.

1. With the vehicle supported on the wheels and tires at normal curb height, tighten the front suspension lower arm-to-crossmember nuts to 148-201 Nm (110-148 lb-ft).

1. Check caster, camber and toe. Adjust as required.

Edited by lostrider on 12/21/2009 at 10:50 PM EST
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

here's the instructions on the spring removal and replacement.

Spring

Removal

1. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove wheel and tire assembly.

2. Remove the two bolts retaining the front shock absorber (18124) to the front suspension lower arm (3078).

3. Remove the upper nut, retainer and grommet from the front shock absorber. Remove the front shock absorber.

4. Remove steering center link from pitman arm.

5. Support the vehicle with safety stands under the jacking pads and lower the hoist but maintain sufficient working room.

6. Using Coil Spring Compressor D78P-5310-A or equivalent, install one plate with the pivot ball seat facing downward into the coils of the front coil spring (5310). Rotate the plate so it is flush with the upper surface of the front suspension lower arm.

7. Install the other plate with the pivot ball seat facing upward into the coils of the front coil spring. Insert the upper ball nut through the coils of thefront coil spring so nut rests in the upper plate.

8. NOTE: This pin can only be inserted one way into the upper ball nut because of a stepped hole design.

Insert the compression rod into the opening in the front suspension lower arm, through the upper and lower plate and upper ball nut. Insert the securing pin through the upper ball nut and compression rod.

9. With the upper ball nut secured, turn the upper plate so it walks up the coil until it contacts the upper front spring insulator (5415). Then back-off one-half turn.
    Install the lower ball nut and thrust washer on the compression rod and screw on the forcing nut.

Spring Compressor Installation

graphic

Spring Compressor Location

graphic

10. Tighten the forcing nut until the front coil spring is compressed enough so it is free in its front spring insulator.

graphic

11. Remove the two front suspension lower arm pivot bolts, disengage the front suspension lower arm from the frame crossmember and remove the front coil spring.

12. If a new front coil spring is to be installed:

1. Mark the position of the upper and lower plates on the front coil spring with chalk.
    1. With an assistant, compress a new front coil spring for installation. Measure the compressed length and the amount of curvature of the old front coil spring.
  13. Loosen the forcing nut to relieve spring tension and remove the tools from thefront coil spring.

graphic

Installation

1. Assemble the coil spring compressor and locate in the same position as indicated in Removal, Step 13a.

1. NOTE: Before compressing the front coil spring, make sure the upper ball nut securing pin is inserted properly.

Compress front coil spring until spring height reaches the dimension obtained in Removal, Step 13b.

1. Position the front coil spring assembly into the front suspension lower arm (3079).

graphic

1. NOTE: The tail of the front coil spring must be positioned as shown.

To install front coil spring, reverse Removal procedure.

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
    1 N808943-S428 Nut (4 Req'd)
    2 5415 Front Spring Insulator (2 Req'd)
    3 5310 Front Coil Spring (2 Req'd)
    4 3079 Front Suspension Lower Arm
    5 N801224-S Washer (2 Req'd)
    6 N800980-S301 Bolt (4 Req'd)
    A - Tighten to 148-201 Nm (110-148 Lb-Ft)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know who the manufacturer of spring compressor part # XXXXX is?
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
That would be OTC, but that may be a little hard to find, but if there is an Auto Zone near you they have a loan a tool program and may have something compatible.
Experience: 22 years on Fords,Lin,Merc