Glenn
Glenn, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

2002 mercury: anyone have a fuel pump wire diagram..pump itself

Customer Question

would anyone have a fuel pump wire diagram for a 2002 mercury cougar
the fuel pump will not run so i wanted to check for power before i change the pump itself
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

hello there,

I would not worry about the fuel sender, just make sure that the power is on the green/orange wire and the the black is good ground.

graphic

Edited by Glenn on 12/12/2009 at 5:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i checked, there is no green/orange wire at the pump. i have 5 wires, and the only one with power is white with black strip
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

That is the wire that feeds the fuel pump motor, I would say you need a new one if not pumping. Check that brown/yellow is grounding.

I am sorry I forgot this has a separate fuel pump driver module In rear, behind trim panel, LH side / behind luggage compartment lining, LH side, this is where the gn.or wire is at.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the brown/yellow wire is a good ground, im going to go ahaid an change the pump. that suck though, i didnt want to drop the tank, it pretty cold today. oh well, thank you for your help
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.
I hear ya, they are not fun on that car! Can you say tin snips out loud? I can not recommend doing it but I have seen it done [making access hole under rear seat]