Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE/Mazda Master Technician-L1 cert
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.
5624692

98 Mercury Villager: power windows..fuses that are blown..relay

All of a sudden my power door locks, power windows, and dashboard lights quit working on my 98 Mercury Villager. I cant find any fuses that are blown... Is this a relay or switch problem?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Do you have a meter or test light for me to walk you through some checks?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, no meter or test light.

I will tell you that the interior dome light works when manually pushed and the clock/radio light comes on, however, it goes totally dark when I turn my headlight on. (radio still works, just cant see the display) The wipers also work.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I'm going to check the schematic for a common link. It is going to be difficult to accurately diagnose this without some testing though!
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I see that they all share a ground (G200) which is located behind the instrument panel on the driver side. That ground could be loose causing this problem.

The other thing they have in common is the "Smart Entrance Control Module". This is a fairly common failure item which causes the symptoms you describe. Without a meter to check the power and grounds there is no 100% way to be sure this is bad.... but there is a very high likelyhood.

If you want to purchase a meter (sears has them for under $50.00) to test the wires then I would suggest replacing the SECM.