Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

mercury mystique: weather..wont start..it runs fine..cam sensor

Customer Question

have a mercury mystique when the weather is cold it wont start what you suggest to start looking at its a 2000 with 2 0 engine it runs fine except when real cold it like only fire on two plugs i have changed the cam sensor so far what would you do next
Category: Mercury
Expert:  RIP ROBERT replied 4 years ago.
HI beaky86hotmail.com;

THE NEXT THING I WOULD DO IS TO CHECK THE SPARK PLUG, AND THE PLUG WIRES. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. THANK YOU FOR USING JUST ANSWER

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have changed the plugs not wires i drove it for while let it set over night wouldnt start next cool morning the first two plugs was wet the other two fine now what would i do next any suggetions it like two not getting fire other two do confusing
HI;

THE NEXT THING WOULD BE THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR. YOU CAN TRY REMOVING IT AND CLEANING IT FIRST TO SEE I IT CHANGES YOUR STARTING PROBLEM. WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have changed that cam sensor also when it starts can here it miss when it starts up what you think about would it be the air flow sensor maybe
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the crank shaft sensor would that cause the cold start problem you think
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

The MAF sensor could defiantly cause this concern so I would try cleaning it first. Remove the sensor from the housing with a T20 torx bit and clean the sensor bulbs good with some electrical cleaner. Do not touch the sensor bulbs with your fingers. Blow them dry with some shop air or a hair dryer and reinstall. Disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes to reset the fuel strategies in the computer then test drive for about 25 miles to complete the monitors with a couple of wide open throttle burst and then see if this does not solve your concern.

It is possible for the crankshaft sensor to do this also so when it is acting up watch your check engine light. It should come on when you turn the key to the run position,go out while cranking. If it stays on when you start cranking or comes back on while cranking then your PCM is not seeing the sensor.

There is one more thing also,Ford has a calibration update for the PCM for a hard start after a 30 minute or more hot soak when running winter blend fuels. So you may need to have your local dealer reprogam the PCM. The TSB number is XXXXX

Here is a copy of it.

Printable View (11 KB)
TSB
00-10-2
  • HESITATION - DURING STARTUP AFTER HOT SOAK - 2.5L VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 5/1/2000
  • ROUGH IDLE - DURING STARTUP AFTER HOT SOAK - 2.5L VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 5/1/2000
Publication Date: MAY 4, 2000

FORD:1999-2000 CONTOUR
MERCURY:1999-2000 COUGAR, MYSTIQUE

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit a rough idle, or hesitation when first operated after being parked for 20-30 minutes (also known as a hot soak condition). This may be due to the presence of winter grade fuels along with the existing Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration. The present calibration may not increase the fuel pressure sufficiently when first started after a hot soak to compensate for the winter grade fuels. This may result in fuel vapor (instead of liquid fuel) accumulating in the fuel rail and ultimately being directed to the cylinders through the injectors.

ACTION:

Reprogram the PCM with a new calibration which has a revised fuel pressure strategy. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Perform the diagnostic self-test to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). If any codes are present, refer to the appropriate diagnostic routines in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual and repair as necessary.
  2. Using the New Generation Star (NGS) Tester or Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS), access the PCM identification function (Log File on WDS) to obtain the present part number of the PCM.
  3. Use the PCM part number to identify the vehicle's existing calibration by referring to the following PCM Reprogramming Information Chart.
  4. Once the existing calibration has been identified, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration revision level using an NGS Tester or WDS.

NOTE:AFTER A MODEL YEAR GOES OUT OF PRODUCTION, THE SERVICE CALIBRATION SUFFIX IS NOT CHANGED. ONLY THE PCM PART NUMBER IS XXXXX WHEN THE PCM IS RECALIBRATED.

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS

THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE:
    Reprogrammed Powertrain Control Module per TSB 00-10-2
    THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE, BY EPA AND CARB.
    DEALER NUMBER:------------------------------------------DATE:

CHANGE AUTHORITY:

FPS 8262 9/78 FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRINTED IN U.S.A.

PCM REPROGRAMMING INFORMATION
    Old CalibrationNew CalibrationTear TagNGS/WDS Qualifier
    XS2A-XA, XBXS2A-XCVNM0, VMN1, VMN29LCA-BV CALIBRATION
    XS2A-YA, YBX2SA-YCTRM0, TRM1, TRM2Not Available on NGS
    XS8A-MA, MBXS8A-MCDMX0, DMX1, DMX29LCA-BW CALIBRATION
    XS2A-ZA, ZBXS2A-ZCCGB0, CGB1, CGB29LCM-BV CALIBRATION
    XS2A-ABA, ABBXS2A-ABCHKG0, HKG1, HKG2Not Available on NGS
    XS8A-PA, PCXS8A-PDNCF0, NCF1, NZK09LCM-BW CALIBRATION
    XS2A-GD, GEXS2A-GFLXP3, LXP4, LXP59LCA-AC CALIBRATION
    XS2A-HD, HEXS2A-HFMZZ3, MZZ4, MZZ59LCA-BC CALIBRATION
    X2SA-VD, VEX2SA-VFPPC3, PPC4, PPC5Not Available on NGS
    XS8A-GD, GEXS8A-GFGGR3, GGR4, GGR59LCA-AD CALIBRATION
    XS8A-HD, HEXS8A-HFHYA3, HYA4, HYA59LCA-BD CALIBRATION
    XS2A-ED, EE, EFXS2A-EGJTA3, JTA4, JTA5, JTA69LCM-AC CALIBRATION
    XS2A-FD, FE, FFXS2A-FGDAR3, DAR4, DAR5, DAR69LCM-BC CALIBRATION
    XS2A-PD, PE, PFXS2A-PGNRE3, NRE4, NRE5, NRE6Not Available on NGS
    XS8A-ED, EE, EFXS8A-EGEDL3, EDL4, EDL5, EDL69LCM-AD CALIBRATION
    XS8A-FD, FE, FFXS8A-FGFWF3, FWF4, FWF5, FWF69LCM-BD CALIBRATION

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

Edited by Chuck on 11/16/2009 at 5:34 PM EST
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the MAF is that the massive air flow sensor you are talking about and where is this located at on the car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MAF that is the massive air flow sensor right and about where would this be located at on the car
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Yes MAF is the mass air flow sensor. Here is a pic of it I have circled the sensor itself.

graphic

Remove the 2 torx screws and lift the sensor out of the body. There is an oring between the sensor and body so make sure not to lose it. The clean the 2 sensor bulbs with electrical cleaner and blow it dry.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi chuck we have changed the plugs camshaft sensor cleaned the MAF and the car ran good for theXXXXXnow today it back to not stating again soulds like it only hittin on two of the four plugs it only does this not starting when weather is cold once i get it started it runs great but now it got clold last night back to square one what to do next i lost
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a scan tool or access to one where you can retrieve codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

had it done at auto shop said showed cam sensor and oxygen sensor what ould you think to do next the check engine light ent out after i cleaned the MAF but now it back on

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Yes lets get the codes again,I am looking to see if you maybe now have missfire codes since you replaced the cam sensor?

Also which 2 cylinders seem to not fire when it acts up? Your ignition is fired in pairs,cylinders 1 and 4 are fired together and 2 and 3 are fired together.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the first two but was that way before changed the cam sensor
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Yeah see that doesn't make sense if it is the 1st 2 unless you have some kind of restriction in air cleaner or intake or a vacuum leak .

Of course the cam sensor is what fires the injectors(thats is its only purpose) and normally when you have a problem there the PCM will go into fault mode and fire all four at the same time. I am wondering if since you replace it if now it may be setting a miss-fire code? Would be good to know this.At this point I am trying to determine if it is fuel related or ignition causing this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
see now we got i t to start but since we turned it off it not even tryng to start like not even hitting or tring to fire this only happens when weather is cold or rainy over wknd weather was nice started fine runs great but here it is same thing over cant figure it out do you think the oxygen sensor only working part time and need new one i cleaned it again today but did no good well it started then i turned off but wont start at all now
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so he checked plugs all clean treid to start it to see they getting fire it fired right up even with one plug not in checked if vaccum plugged up it getting good vacum he wondered why when we drove it the other day when he floored it seemed like sounded like jet but didnt really go much faster is this normal well it went fast but not what we exspect
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Yes you do have some very strange symptoms here. The sounding like a jet and lack of power sounds like maybe a restriction either exhaust or intake but normally this is more prevalent after engine is warmed up and not cold or wet conditions. Normally cold or wet conditions lead more to a corrosion problem in one of the electrical connections or something along those lines.

But at this point lets not leave any stone unturned. I would defiantly check for an exhaust restriction since it is not that hard on this vehicle.Go to the DPFE sensor here is a pic of it.

graphic

Unhook one of the hoses from it that go down to the exhaust and hook you a vacuum/pressure gage into it and take some readings. You are looking for 1 PSI or less at idle and 3 to 4 PSI at wide open throttle. If you have more than this then you have an exhaust restriction,most likely the catalytic converter.

Check your fuel pressure make sure you have it especially when the concern is present.

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
When it acts up if you turn the ignition to on do you hear the fuel pump run for 2 secs and then turn off?
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
I just thought of one more thing to look at. When vehicle is acting up what does the check engine light do? Normal operation should be when you turn the switch to on it should come on,when engine is cranking it should go out. If it does not come on when you turn the key to on or if it comes back on while engine is cranking(usually after about 8 to 10 seconds of cranking)then the PCM is not seeing the crankshaft position sensor.