A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

2004 2004 mountaineer truck wont start theft light flashing

Customer Question

2004 2004 mountaineer truck won't start theft light flashing
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The problem may be the PATS key for the vehicle. If you have another key to the vehicle, try to start it with the other key. You may also want to get a code reader and see if there are any codes in the engine computer. It will point us in the correct direction to repair your problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
try the other key still will not start can i disarm it so it will start

The PATS module has to see the chip in the key to allow the vehicle to start. It tells the ECU that the proper programmed key is in the ignition and the ECU turns the fuel pump on. It cannot be bypassed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SO THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER OR CAN IT BE FIX
MY PROBLEM START WENESDAY DRIVE CAR JUST CUT OF TRY TO START NOTHING GOT IT TOWED BOUT 8:30 TRY TO START IT BOUT 12 START THEN DIED AFTER 3 MINS CHANGED CORL PACK CHARGED BATTY HAD ALTERNATOR CHECK GO PUT EVERYTHING BACK THEN SEEN THEFT LIGHT FLASHING
If you can borrow a code reader or scan tool, we can fix the problem. You will not have to take it to the dealership unless the original keys or new keys have to be programmed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a code reader or scan tool ITS THAT HAVING IT PUT ON THE COMPUTER I HAD IT HOOK UP TO ONE IF THATS WHAT U MEAN

Yes. The connection point is under the dash. The connector will be located under the drivers side of the dash. Below is a link for a picture of the connector. It is C251 DCL Connector in the diagram.

C251 DCL CONNECTOR

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES HAD THAT HOOK UP ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE IT START OR RE-SET ALARM
You can clear the codes and see if the theft light stops flashing and the vehicle starts. If not, you will have to get the codes and post them on this page and I can tell you what to check.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HOW DO I CLEAR THE CODES
If you have a code reader or scan tool there will be a clear or reset button to clear the codes. It will also prompt you when to clear the codes.