Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

1998 Mercury Mountaineer: timing chain sensor

If you remove the timing chain cover on a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Liter, can you see the cam sensor gear?

The Camshaft Position Sensor is located near rear of engine. so the answer is no. It is driven by a

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you speaking of a 6 cylinder or a 5.0 V8? I was under the impression that it was located in the front of the motor on a 5.0 V8. I am aware that the 6 cylinder is located in the back.
IMy mistake I was assuming this was a 4.0 and now I see its a 5.0 and in this case yes if you take the timing chain cover off you can see the gear.

Edited by Ron on 9/21/2009 at 6:12 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No sir. The cam sensor is located in the front of the engine, just above the water pump correct? Are you going by a book or have you actually done this work? I have a book but I need someone who has actually performed this task.
Yes you are right, I miss read the engine size and thought we where talking the 4.0. In your case on the 5.0 yes you will see the gear if you remove the cover.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you sir for your time!
Your very welcome.