EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford

1993 mercury sable: starter relay located..Not thr solinoid

Customer Question

Where is the starter relay located on a 1993 mercury sable Not thr solinoid but the relay and what does it look like
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Locations
Notes

STARTER SOLENOID LOCATION
On the lower LH front of the engine, on the starter motor.

Testing and Inspection
Notes

The solenoid switch on a cranking motor not only closes the circuit between the battery and the cranking motor but also shifts the drive pinion into mesh with the engine flywheel ring gear. This is done by means of a linkage between the solenoid switch plunger and the shift lever on the cranking motor.
There are two windings in the solenoid; a pull-in winding and a hold-in winding. Both windings are energized when the external control switch is closed. They produce a magnetic field which pulls the plunger in so that the drive pinion is shifted into mesh, and the main contacts in the solenoid switch are closed to connect the battery directly to the cranking motor. Closing the main switch contacts shorts out the pull-in winding since this winding is connected across the main contacts. The magnetism produced by the hold-in winding is sufficient to hold the plunger in, and shorting out the pull-in winding reduces drain on the battery. When the control switch is opened, it disconnects the hold-in winding from the battery. When the hold-in winding is disconnected from the battery, the shift lever spring withdraws the plunger from the solenoid, opening the solenoid switch contacts and at the same time withdrawing the drive pinion from mesh. Proper operation of the switch depends on maintaining a definite balance between the magnetic strength of the pull-in and hold-in windings.
This balance is established in the design by the size of the wire and the number of turns specified. An open circuit in the hold-in winding or attempts to crank with a discharged battery will cause the switch to chatter

MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THIS TSB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engine - No Crank Condition
Notes
Article No.
94-26-3

12/26/94

NO CRANK - POSSIBLE CORROSION AT STARTER SOLENOID - VEHICLES WITH 3.0L AND 3.8L ENGINES

FORD:
1992-95 TAURUS, THUNDERBIRD

LINCOLN-MERCURY:
1992-94 CONTINENTAL
1992-95 COUGAR, SABLE

LIGHT TRUCK:
1996 WINDSTAR

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit a "No-Crank" condition due to corrosion at the starter solenoid connector.

ACTION:
Replace the corroded connector with a service wiring and connector assembly. Applying di-electric grease, along with replacing the wiring and service connector, to the terminal connector will aid in corrosion protection.

DETAILED SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Disconnect negative battery cable.

2.Disconnect the christmas tree retainer retaining wire takeout.

3.Remove the connector from the solenoid by firmly grasping the connector and pressing the external detent release (if so equipped) and pulling. Refer to Figure 1.

CAUTION: DO NOT PULL ON THE WIRE BECAUSE THIS WILL DAMAGE THE TERMINAL.

4.DO NOT SAND OR FILE THE TERMINAL. Brush Di-Electric Grease (D7AZ-19A331-A, or equivalent) onto the terminal. Refer to Figure 1.

5.Using scissors, carefully cut the protective sleeving 4" (100 mm) back from the connector.

6.Push sleeving back and cut wire 8" (200 mm) back from the connector end.

7.Strip wire 5/16" (8 mm).

8.Insert wire into butt connector of Service Wire and Connector Assembly (F4VY-14A411-A) and crimp using tool for pro-insulated crimps.

9.Heat splice with heat gun until tubing shrinks and adhesive flows from each end.

10.Pull sleeving back over the splice and up to the back of the connector.

11.Fully tape over the slit and wire up to the back of the connector.

12.Replace harness retainer and tape it 61, (150 mm) from the end of the connector.

13.Assemble connector to starter. Insert harness retainer into floating hole on battery cable.

14.Install negative battery cable
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good info nut not what i am looking for i know where the solinoid is i need to know where the starter relay is and what it looks like. Repair describes but know photo or location of where it is just how to test. So once again i need to know where the starter relay is.

Thank You,

Larry
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

It is incorporated as a solenoid at the statrer.

In-Vehicle Testing
Notes

Disconnect vacuum line to Thermactor bypass valve before performing any cranking tests. After tests, run engine 3 minutes before connecting vacuum line.

Starter Cranking Circuit Test

Fig. 4 Starter Cranking Circuit Test Connections

1. Make test connections as shown in Fig. 4.
  2. Disconnect ignition coil and crank engine.
  3. Connect remote control starter switch from battery terminal of starter relay to S terminal of relay.
  4. Maximum allowable voltage drop should be as follows:
    1. .5 volt with voltmeter negative lead connected to starter terminal and positive lead connected to battery positive terminal.
    2. .1 volt with voltmeter negative lead connected to starter relay (battery side) and positive lead connected to positive terminal of battery.
    3. .3 volt with voltmeter negative lead connected to starter relay (starter side) and positive lead connected to positive terminal of battery.
    4. .3 volt with voltmeter negative lead connected to negative terminal of battery and positive lead connected to engine ground.

Starter Load Test

Fig. 5 Starter Load Test Connection. Positive Engagement Starter

1. Connect test equipment as shown in Fig. 5.
  2. Ensure that no current is flowing through ammeter and heavy duty carbon pile rheostat portion of circuit.
  3. Crank engine with ignition off and determine exact reading on voltmeter. This test is accomplished by disconnecting push-on connector S at starter relay and by connecting a remote control starter switch from positive battery terminal to S terminal of starter relay.
  4. Stop cranking engine and reduce resistance of carbon pile until voltmeter indicates same reading as that obtained while starter cranked engine. Ammeter should read 150-250 amps