bamaman39
bamaman39, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ford technician
17239397

I hear a clunking sound when I put my car in reverse, and when I step

I hear a clunking sound when I put my car in reverse, and when I step on the gas sometimes I hear a clunking sound before it levels off. What could that be?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

I need to know some more information

Were is the clunking sound coming from front or back?

Does the transmission shift ok?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like it`s coming from the front. I just had another engine put in it 3 weeks ago. It wasn`t making that sound before the engine was replaced. Transmission shifts okay, but I hear a clunking sound when I step on the gas sometimes from the park position or at a light...
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.
OK does it make louder noise when turning left and right or is it just when you take off?Does it do it when going over bumps?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No nothing happens when I turn left or right only when I put the car in reverse and take of from a standing postion. I order to not feel the clunk so when I take off, I have to press on the gas pedal gently so that it won`t jerk and when I`m on a hill on slant I press down on the brakes while I`m putting the car in reverse and it`s not that hard..Got to go to work will get your response when I get home. Thank you......
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like a motor mount either loose or broken.I would check the front and rear motor mounts for play