Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance

2004 Mercury Mountaineer: 4.0L..000 miles..2nd gear..5th gear

2004 Mercury Mountaineer transmission problems 4.0L, 68,000 miles:
The Transmission delays going in 2nd gear
The overdrive light is flashing- no overdrive.
PCM codes are: PO732-incorrect gaer ratio,
PO735-incorrect gear ratio 5th gear,
PO775-pressure control solenoid (B).
Could this be an electronic problem or worn internal parts?
Do you think the trans needs an overhaul?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

I suspect you have either a broken band or a broken servo shaft.

On the front band loosen the nut then see if you can torque the adjuster to 10 ft lb.

If the adjuster goes all the way in with out torqing to 10 ft lbs then the band is broke.

If it torques down ok then you will need to remove the servo and check the servo shaft.

You will also need to check the servo bore in the case if it is worn you will need to have a bore pin placed into it or case replaced.However with the mileage you have I would not suspect this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The band isn't broke, thanks for the help, but how would a servo shaft break?, Dosen't the accumulator just apply pressure to the shaft? I'm not familar at all with the newer electronic transmissions. Second gear doesn't work at all, would this still indicate a broken servo shaft? Does the servo shaft apply pressure to the front band? Could this be a bad solenoid? Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

The shaft is made to the servo and at the end of the shaft right at the servo are fluid holes in the servo pin. Here is a pick of one.

graphic

They will usually break at the fluid holes.

The other problem we see on this tranny that I was telling you about but we usually don't see this at the miles you have but is certainly a posibility is a worn servo bore.

Here is a pic of this.

graphic

What happens here is the piston wears a groove into the bore then it looses pressure around the shaft and can not apply the servo. If this is the case there is a repair out where you can drill out the bore and install a sleeve in it.

http://www.northlandtransmission.com/servobore/5rw.asp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would repairing the servo shaft fix this problem? Would there be anything else preventing the trans from going in second gear? (overdrive-5th gear doesn't work either). I assume the trans doesn't have to be removed for this repair? The servo, if I'm correct is on the right side of the trans, there is two acumulators (servo's) there, this would be the front one am I correct? Would driving the vehicle for two months this way cause any more damage to the trans and should it be rebuilt? I noticed after I did the band procedure it slipped in forward and reverse for a brief time but hasn't since. The exhaust system would have to be removed to gain access to the servo also since it runs tightly to the right side of the trans, that's why I want to make sure if I make this repair it will fix this problem, please give me your opinion. Thank you very much for your time.
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is the front one and I suspect with your mileage that it is a broken servo shaft. Have seen several of these. But it can also be the servo bore in which case the tranny would have to come out and be totally disassembled to repair this.

Of course if you pull the servo and the shaft is broken then you know you have found the problem. If the shaft is not broken then you would have to look into the bore and see if you have a groove worn in the bore.

If you do continue to drive it it will eventually burn up the band. If it is jerking while doing this it could possibly damage the center support.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question Chuck, if the servo shaft is broken, can it be replaced without any additional repairs, will I be able to take out the broken shaft and replace it with a new one, or will it be stuck in the trans, can this be done without removing the trans? Removing the exhaust system is a job in itself. I must ask you again should the trans be removed, disassembled and checked out. Thank you again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

You may have to use a magnet to get the other end out but thats it.Comes out easy usually.

You may also be able to drop the rear tranny mount and let the tranny drop down enough to get the servo out without taking the exhaust down. I can't remember on a 4.0.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Chuck, but there is one more thing I forgot to sak you. AFTER TORQUING THE BAND ADUSTER TO TEN FOOT POUNDS, HOW MANY TURNS SHOULD THE ADJUSTER BE BACKED OFF? By the way there no way the trans could be lowered enough to gain access to the servo with out removing the exhuast, the exhaust would be moving with the trans as it's lowered, it's a very tight fit. Thanks again. I will accept after this final question.
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

11/2 turns

Yeah I couldn't remember on the exhaust on a 4.0L. Working at a LM dealership we see mostly 4.6L and then the linc LS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The anwer I wanted to know is, how many turns out does the band adjuster have to be after torquing it to ten foot pounds. Thanks.
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
one and a half turns
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance