Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

I have a 99 Cougar 2.5l V6 MTX. The speedo is not working and

I have a 99 Cougar 2.5l V6 MTX. The speedo is not working and I get P0500. I took out the VSS and the spindle was broken. I replaced it with a new part, but the problem persists. No speedo and the VSS code. I took it to a shop where they told me that there is a plastic gear in the transmission that drives the VSS and it is broken and in order to repair it, they would need to take the transmission out, dismantle it, and replace the gear. So I would like to ask, if it is really necessary to dismantle the transmission for this. And if it is, is there another way I can emulate the signal that would normally be produced by the VSS (e.g. using ABS sensor somehow)? Thanks
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
Your mechanics are 100% right, the speedometer plastic drive gear is installed on the differential that is inside the transmission and since the VSS gear has gone, the plastic drive gear seems to be "eaten" too.
There is not any way to replace this gear without disassembling the transmission.
Unfortunately, you can't emulate the VSS signal.
The ABS sensors work differently and produce quite different signal pattern so you can't use it instead of the VSS.