autodoc_2000, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 1999 Ford Senior Master Technician Certification

Grand Marquis: The cruise control stop working, I..brake pedal

I have a 1998 4.6 Grand Marquis. The cruise control stop working, I replaced the switch under the brake pedal and I still have the same problem. What could be the problem?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 7 years ago.
Most of the time the brake pressure sensor is the problem on these vehicles. The brake pressure sensor is located on the master cylinder in front of the reservoir. Brake fluid leaks into the connector and causes a short.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the brake sensor and saw no signs of any brake fluid leaking at all. Is there anything else that would make the cruise control stop working?
The cable could be broken. In order to check this remove the cap on the servo end and pull on the cable if the throttle moves then the cable is ok. I have replaced servos before. I normally do not have problems with the switches.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I check the cable and its ok, the throttle moves when I pull on the cable. Anything else it can be?
It could be th switch, butlike I said beforeI normally do not see the switches go bad. The servos do go bad as I said before. The servo is the part that pulls the cable. It is the module and electrical unit in one. There are no tests for the servo. Install known good part is what Ford says. Diagnosis of the cruise control is done with a multimeter and scan tool.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any chance the problem could be in the steering wheel? The horn works but I was just wondering if maybe something could have grounded out.
There is a clock spring below the steering wheel that allows the current to pass through fro the horn cruise etc. That could be the problem, but you need to remove the air bag and use an ohmeter in order to check it for continuity. Usually if it is the clock spring the problem will be an intermitant concern at first.