Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

2000 mercury cougar: battery light keep flashing

I have a 2000 mercury cougar, and my alternator has been replaced now the 3rd time. This time my battery light keep flashing. I have gotten some to look at it, the battery has gone dead on a new alternator, and the alternator will not keep the battery charged. The battery light remains on and im not sure why. one mechanic told me my alternator wire coming from my car, connecting to my alternator has gone bad, but im not sure how to fix it.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer

That wire running to the alternator starts at the starter and gous to a big fuse on the back of the intake. You have to remove the ignition coil to get to it. More than likely the fuse is bad. The fuse is called a 175 Amp Mega Fuse.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But if the fuse was gone bad, wouldnt the battery never charge up. We got the battery to charge, after the alternator was placed on. I took it to get it checked and it was completely charged, After about 4 days of driving it battery light came back on solid, and my car keep idling like it was going to cut off, then eventually my battery went dead completely
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, if the fuse was halfway bad, it can ruin a new Alternator. The best thing to do is replace the Alternator, Charge the battery and replace that fuse. I own a vehicle similar to this one so I know personally and first hand.