Tim
Tim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 4.6L engine. Have a coolant

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 4.6L engine.
Have a coolant leak where the heater hose connects to the intake manifold. The hose is clamped to a metal nipple that is joined to a plastic adapter that connects to the intake manifold. The Plastic adapter seems to have a crack. Is this repairable, and if yes, what is the best method to repair? The Mercury dealer is advising me to replace the whole intake manifold, but I'd rather not ($1100 for just the manifold itself, not including repair labor).
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Unfornuatly it is not repairable without changing out the entire intake. You could try JB weld but I have not had much luck with that on intakes personnaly.Another option would be to get a used one but you do not know how long that one will last either. I would price the intake around and see if I could not get one cheaper.
Tim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We found the intake manifold available at local auto parts store for $249. Do you have a link to a procedure for changing out the intake? I have the Haynes manual, but would rather have something from the Mercury workshop manual if it is available.

I didn't realize that the whole intake manifold is plastic until looking a little closer. It appears that this one has a metal nipple threaded into the plastic, and the one at the auto parts place did not have a metal nipple, but rather molded plastic for the whole thing. Maybe that was a design change due to the tendency for it to crack where the metal joins the plastic. Yes??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We found the intake manifold available at local auto parts store for $249. Do you have a link to a procedure for changing out the intake? I have the Haynes manual, but would rather have something from the Mercury workshop manual if it is available. I didn't realize that the whole intake manifold is plastic until looking a little closer. It appears that this one has a metal nipple threaded into the plastic, and the one at the auto parts place did not have a metal nipple, but rather molded plastic for the whole thing. Maybe that was a design change due to the tendency for it to crack where the metal joins the plastic. Yes??
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
here is what I have for replacing th eintake.

Intake Manifold — Gasoline Engines
Removal

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Drain the engine cooling system.
Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.
Disconnect the fuel line.
Remove the wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft.
Remove the drive belt.
Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) tube from the exhaust manifold.

Lower the vehicle.
Disconnect the differential pressure feedback EGR electrical connector.

Disconnect the fuel charging wiring electrical connectors from the eight ignition coils.

Disconnect the fuel charging wiring electrical connectors from the eight fuel injectors.

Disconnect the accelerator cable, the speed control actuator cable and the throttle return spring.

Remove the cables from the EGR tube heat shield and position out of the way.

Remove the bolts and the EGR tube heat shield.

Disconnect the evaporative emissions (EVAP) return tube, the main chassis vacuum supply line, and the EGR valve vacuum supply.

Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) tube assembly at two locations and remove.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid.

Disconnect the vacuum line from the EVAP canister purge valve.

Disconnect the generator cable, the electrical connector and the harness pin-type retainer.

Remove the bolts and the generator mounting bracket.

Disconnect the upper radiator hose.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the idle air control (IAC) valve and the throttle position (TP) sensor.

Disconnect the heater water hose.

Disconnect the EGR tube nut from the EGR valve.

Separate the fuel charging wiring harness pin-type retainer from the crash bracket.

NOTE: The LH heated oxygen sensor and the transmission electrical connectors are attached to the wiring bracket and must be separated from the bracket.

Remove the wiring bracket.
Disconnect the wiring connectors.
Separate the transmission harness from the stud.
Remove the nut and the bolt and remove the bracket.

Remove the cables from the crash bracket.

Remove the crash bracket bolt and prevent the bolt from contacting the cylinder head with a rubber band or tie strap.

Remove the stud.

Remove the ground connector from the RH rear stud.

Remove the generator harness pin-type retainer from LH front stud.

Remove the eight bolts and the eight ignition coils.

Remove the bolts and the water outlet adapter.

Disconnect the cooling sensor electrical connector.

Remove the water thermostat.

Remove the fuel charging wiring position retainer from the rear of the intake manifold.

Remove the bolts and the intake manifold.

Remove the intake manifold gaskets.

Clean the sealing surfaces.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the re-installation just the opposite of above? Or anything in particular that needs to be done in proper order for installation and preparation to run the engine again?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
correct, just opposite.